What do all the stats do?

Talk about anything regarding Star Mass.
Verden Leafglow

What do all the stats do?

Postby Verden Leafglow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi, there!

Is there anywhere that describes what all the ship stats do, ex. how shields work, how evasion works, what towers are, and so on...the help in the game doesn't describe what these things are and the wiki has no additional information.

Thanks!
Greywing

Re: What do all the stats do?

Postby Greywing » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:14 am

It's been so long ago that even I don't remember.

Shields might be just another layer of HP - the idea was to make these absorb energy-based damage and provide an additional resistance against electronic warfare effects, but i don't know if those things actually made it.
Evasion is either flat chance to fully evade an attack or (if ships have accuracy) it will be measured against the accuracy of the attacker to determine the actual chance to evade.
Towers go in the extra slots i believe - they're similar to drones that a carrier can launch.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:36 pm

So it happens that I've managed to [mostly] figure out what things do...sometimes information shows up in the hints at the beginning of each level; it just would have been nice to know some of these things when I started...

Now that I've played through and gotten used to the game, I must say I really like it, I understand it, and I think it has plenty of potential. I saw your post in 2011 that suggested you might want to try a Star Mass 2 at sometime - would you still be interested in that? I do believe it could be quite the solid game. I've taken note of a number of things that would benefit the game greatly in my opinion (not new features or taking away from your design - just detail work that makes the game more tedious than it needs to be). Anyways - I love simple games like this! They're just what the soul needs to rest every so often...
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:28 am

I doubt I'll do any programming any time soon, if ever - things are just too busy. After HD3 i had started preparing a bunch of stuff for a huge turn-based rpg, so if i do get started again, i'm likely to focus on that idea first.

Star Mass was based on an older game of mine that was quite complicated - basically a fleet vs fleet battle simulator with lots (too much) detail.
SVC - NULLL games.
Musante

Postby Musante » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:37 pm

Man, a turn-based RPG sounds amazing, Greywing. I hope you end up making this game. Old school, baby!
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Greywing wrote:I doubt I'll do any programming any time soon, if ever - things are just too busy. After HD3 i had started preparing a bunch of stuff for a huge turn-based rpg, so if i do get started again, i'm likely to focus on that idea first.

Star Mass was based on an older game of mine that was quite complicated - basically a fleet vs fleet battle simulator with lots (too much) detail.

Any chance that fleet vs fleet battle simulator is still around somewhere so that we could play it?
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:42 am

I'll have to dig around in my backups. I'm sure I've kept it, but this is old stuff. It was made in visual basic, which was already a bit outdated around the time i made that prototype - no guarantee it works as it should on anything older than windows XP.
It was the only thing I was familiar with at the time and I still had a disk lying around from back in school. Only later I decided to investigate other languages or game engines and ended up with XNA.
SVC - NULLL games.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 am

I found some stuff - and it still works!

https://nulll-void.com/games/flagship/

There are two zip files - FCM includes an installer and some extra files that I don't recall what they're for. FCMfolder is the resulting folder you get when installing. I tried FCMfolder on windows 10 and it works right away. There's a manual in the folder which should give some idea of how things work. I don't remember too much of it. Multiplayer over local network did function, there's no AI, so you have to control both fleets.

So try FCMfolder first as that won't install anything on your computer. If it works on win 10 it should work on older versions as this was originally built on and for win XP.

There's a screenshots folder as well ( https://nulll-void.com/games/flagship/screenshots/ ) - most of the images are from Flagship, but there are several of the new version with 3D graphics. The 3D version never got finished, but did lead me to create Star Mass.
SVC - NULLL games.

Return to “Star Mass”