any bored developers?

Talk about anything not necessarily related to NULLL or games.
Wv_Hawk_vW

any bored developers?

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:39 am

We all know that greywing is a one-man team and that he doesnt take assistance. we also know that I am full of ideas, and that I am respectful of greywings work. Not to insult you, stijn, but do you know of anyone of at least half your skill in programming that can make games? I have an idea for a game (several, in fact) involving an epic space battle, where you basically have an infinite fleet of ships, as does your enemy, however there are two things restricting the battle: one, you cannot see where your enemy's deploying his fleet (neither can he yours); each ship has a cooldown (or costs X number of energy, the fascilities for producing said energy can be upgraded with more energy), and you can tell each ship what to do or let it march towards the enemy base. each ship will avoid asteroid fields and nebulas, unless ordered to go through them, and fighters avoid straying too far from their ship unless near another ship or ordered to do so.

Basically, in epic spaceship battles, you have a limited line of sight that can be upgraded. you have three resources: knowledge, time, and energy. knowledge is gained by building (and scattering) ships and structures; specialized structures in eyesight provide themost line of sight but are slow to move. Time is obtained in a various manner of ways-- you can either build smaller ships, or you can use the third resource, energy. you gain energy either by fuel, solar, or gravitational.

Fuel is the simplest method of gaining energy-- you expend fuel to produce energy. you cannot move your base at average shipspeeds without expending fuel, however your ships can go without fuel. solar is a method that enlargens your ship, making it an easier target to hit, in order to gain more energy; or you can make it smaller and gain the least energy. gravitational can be obtained in the same manner as fuel, however unlike fuel, you don't gain more from a nebula simply because its pre-processed fuel, and you don't have to rely on asteroids that actually have fuel. the amount of energy you gain gravitationally is set depending on your singularity reactor and cannot be changed mid-battle.

This game also has several environmental effects. for every map, there is between 0 and 4 stars (depending on the types), at least two planets, at least one asteroid field, at least one asteroid ring, and at least one nebula. I shall explain these in their own sections.

Each star provides energy, and there are 5 types of star. number 1 is the normal star. the only thing special about it is that it's solar wind is the weakest; it doesnt have more gravity than most and doesnt provide extra solar energy. there's the giant star; these can either be blue or red, and they provide extra energy, but they provide more risk for pulling a ship in if it gets too close. any ship that touches a star is destroyed unless it is designed with heat shielding in which case heat from stars and heat rays are the only things it will protect against. there's the pulsar; they provide more gravitational or solar energy, depending on which ship is closest and using more of either. there's the quasar, which looks like a nebula except that it gives off some solar energy; moving to the center of a quasar, though its pulsations can deal severe damage to ship, provides more solar than any other star. it is also the only star that gives off fuel. Finally, there's the neutron star. these are the biggest and provide more gravitational than any other star, plus more solar than any other second only to the quasar at close range. if this is at the center of the map, you will find your ship constantly being pulled towards the center, unless in orbit around a planet or at a special orbital speed designed for the neutron star.

Planets are simple. they can either have no atmosphere, cold atmosphere, acidic atmosphere, or oxygenated atmosphere, or perhaps that's all it is (ie, planet is a gas giant). if a planet has no atmosphere, it isnt special in the atmospheric aspect. pluto and mercury are good examples of this. if it has cold atmosphere, you can use it to increase your speed (aerodynamics ftw) but if a ship lands and doesn't expend energy keeping its engines hot, its engines will freeze-- it takes a long time for any engine to warm up when on a cold planet. mars is a perfect example of this. if it has an acidic atmosphere, it will not be cold, however it deals damage over time to any ship in the atmosphere. you can still obtain extra speed from flying through the atmosphere, and due to the nature of the acids, you won't be detected if hiding here (unless the other ship also enters the atmosphere). venus is a great example of this. an oxygenated atmosphere requires specialized defences, though these don't take up the entire shield compartment. examples of these defences are seen on the space shuttle, though a heat shield that protects you from a star will do just as well as ceramic plating on the bottom of a ship. Ceramic plating prevents you from deploying weapons on that side of the ship when entering atmosphere, or doesn't prevent you from taking damage; ie, if theres an enemy below your ship when your doing atmospheric entry, either the fire gets you, or the enemy does. shields are drained, but there are many weapons that deal more damage to shields than fire. in the case of a gas giant, this is essentially an elaborate nebula. you can hide inside (but you cant land like most planets), and going deeper hides you better, but unlike nebulae, going too deep can crush the ship. in addition, depending on the atmosphere, venting oxygen and then firing into it strikes a fire that lasts as long as the oxygen source does (theres more fuel than oxygen in this case), or there's the corrosive acid to deal with.

Asteroids are very simple, they either have minerals or they don't have minerals. if they do have minerals, they can be mined, and the minerals used to upgrade your ships and abilities to get more. if they dont, they can be used as based; either way, they can provide gravitational energy and they deal damage if you arent mining them for ore. nebulae are like gas giants, except you can only extract fuel and you dont have to deal with going too deep inside.

For more information, go here.
Discord: WvHawkvW#6491.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
DEEP SPACE

Re: any bored developers?

Postby DEEP SPACE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:55 am

About fuel:

Admiral Penney: Ohhh... who used fuel to gain energy.
Hawk: I.
Penney: well, now by your gult the Co2 ejected from your ship falls to the planets (thanks to the magnetic force of the planets) and impacts like termic bombs "THAT INCREASES THE TEMPERATURE OF THE ATMOSPHERE OF THATS PLANETS".
Hawk: Sorry, i have no more of other sources of energy.
Penney: i give you the half of my current energy; now follow my to the most nearest base to recharge the energy.

:p :p :p
:rl: DEEP SPACE :rl:
The Spectralis core.
Now in an Arcane Voidsplitter.
In other words: DEEP SPACE TO THE MAX POWER!

My image collection - My game profile
http404error

Postby http404error » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 am

What will this game look like? Will it be 2D or 3D? What kind of platform(s) would this be implemented on? Have you ever played Star Trek: Armada? It sounds kind of similar to what you're describing, especially Armada II.

Also please keep in mind that overcomplexity can turn potential players away. Your game should be readily accessible.

Ideas are worthless these days, according to most game developers. What is really valuable is being able to implement a project and actually work. Admittedly, your vision is advanced enough to work with, but in general, people seem to think that just having a great idea will land you a job. Wrong. Honestly, you'd have an easier time learning to code games that convincing someone to do it for you.

Last thing: does this take place in the Xyth universe?
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:32 am

Welcome back :)

its a 2d spaceplatform. no, I havent played armada, though it sounds interesting. I was kinda thinking that having 2 resources (3, technically) would be simple, yet the gameplay wouldnt be too complicated so the game itself could have a pretty steep learning curve.

didnt expect you to go back this far, actually. Ima gonna have to relearn what this games about 8-)
Discord: WvHawkvW#6491.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
http404error

Postby http404error » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 pm

spaceplatform? I mean like, PC, console, mobile. You also need to figure out what tools you are going to use. There's Flash, Silverlight, XNA, just to name a few. Maybe you should experiment with Game Maker or Scratch to begin with.

Return to “General Talk”