RP explanation of certain things

Talk about anything not necessarily related to NULLL or games.
Wv_Hawk_vW

RP explanation of certain things

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:56 am

First off, an explanation on how things work:

Level 1 explanations: these are accurate and materials nessesary to test this in real-time can be obtained in real-life, assuming the conditions are right.
example of a level 1 explanation:
a car engine is basically a wheel hooked up to a piston andd compression chamber. gasoline enters the compression chamber, ignites, pushes the piston up which turns the wheel because it is hooked up to the piston; at the top of the piston is another wheel and compression chamber, which ignites more gasoline, pushing the shaft down and turning both wheels even more. the gasoline ignition keeps the piston moving.
examples of level 1 explanation in science fiction:
phoenix's artificial supernova power plant is basically where you force an artificial supernova (usually created by detonation not unlike a nuclear bomb) down a pipe lined with solar panels. these panels collect not just light, but the radiation emitted from said supernova, and convert it into electricity. it is simple solar energy in action, made high-tech.
Galaxos' quantum singularity core is basically two black holes, each having about the same circumferance as a quarter, and they are orbiting each other; they are kept from colliding through magnetic field generation (which is also used to keep the core from being left behind as the ship moves), and these spin a wheel, which turns a shaft, generating electricity; large amounts of electricity are generated because of the incredible speed at which these orbiting singularities spin the wheel. note that this method is entirely different from the RV method of gravitational-energy extraction.
Level 2: these are crappy explanations at best but its the best the author can possibly do. dont expect these to be testable.
Example of level 2 explanation: note that this is the OFICIAL explanation for how warp drive works.
Basically, a warp core collides matter and antimatter which generates energy. this energy is then sent to the warp nacelles and subspace is compressed in front of the spaceship; it is warped around the ship in order to circumvent the light-speed limit.
My attempt to turn this level 2 explanation into a level 1 explanation:
basically, dilithium collides with either hydrogen antimatter or plutonium antimatter, i dont know which, and the collision produces an insane amount of heat. this vaporizes, no, ionizes water, (ie, it shifts the water from liquid form to plasma form, even hotter than gaseous form), and it shunts this water through a pipeline with a bunch of turbines on it. this plasma water turns the turbines at incredibly high speeds, producing an immense amount of electricity. this electricity is then forced to the nacelles, which use electrical coils wrapped around plasma of some form, generating a HUGE magnetic field around the ship. the plasma is used to change the shape of the magnetic field, which makes it so that space-time no longer compresses around the ship the faster it goes, and it also reduces the effects of gravity meaning the ship can go at faster-than-light speeds without worrying about crushing like a tin can or slowing down time within the ship.
Level 3: crappy explanation, probably could be a little better.
the official explanation for borg transwarp drives, how do they work anyway?
Level 4: you can't explain it! don't even try! it's a crappy thing that is bound to get people asking for how the hell it works but you can't possibly explain such a complicated machine!
example:
backwards time travel that isn't explained by wormholes. I mean, seriously, if it isnt explained by a wormhole, how in the hell are you supposed to travel back in time?
Level 5 explanation: no explanation exists, none is needed, dont try and nobody will ask why.
Example:
Torg. you simply don't need an explanation for why the embodiment of evil wants to destroy everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) in existence, nor do you need an explanation for how a creature that survives in the vacuum of space, in higher dimensions (that are SUPPOSEDLY sterile of life), without any negative side-effects, is capable of synthesizing anything it wants, nor do you care for how a creature that drains the energy from your ship, scraps it, EATS it, and uses the metal as armor, is capable of infecting all things, biological or no, with a virus of powerful proportions.
Deities and demigods. seriously, they are gods! what do you expect from omnipotent and in some cases omnicient beings? did you expect them to be unable to breath in space? and if so, did you expect them to be unable to form an air bubble around themselves while in space? deities' powers do NOT need explanation, nobody wants one, nobody needs one.

further explanation to be published at a future date.
Discord: WvHawkvW#6491.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
idea bulb

Re: RP explanation of certain things

Postby idea bulb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, you best explain when you are planing on ending what you have been working on for year and start doing something new? Everyone seems to be getting tired of your endless story!
I am light, pearceing the blackness of space.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 pm

we are constantly doing something new in the story! if we end it and start anew, that would be like turning the page in the story. besides, it ends when both authors simultaneously stop posting in the story.

also, just because you are getting tired of it doesnt mean everyone else isn't.

idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 pm

It isn't just me, from previous posts and chatroom disgustion, It seems that Japaleth and Cryriax also are tyring of the story. there also may be others who wish for an ending to the story but they are the ones that are more noteworthy (People I thought of off the top of my head.)
DEEP SPACE

Postby DEEP SPACE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 pm

01000100 01100101 01100101 01110000 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01110011 01101111 00100000 01110100 01101001 01110010 01100101 01100100 00101110
:rl: DEEP SPACE :rl:
The Spectralis core.
Now in an Arcane Voidsplitter.
In other words: DEEP SPACE TO THE MAX POWER!

My image collection - My game profile
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 am

alright. you are right. I'm working on birth of a legend; spoiler alert, it's going to involve an ultimate unknown, something that makes humanity seem really small all of a sudden.

that is, of course, what you guys want, right?

DEEP SPACE

Postby DEEP SPACE » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:16 am

I want to see a RV colliseum, And that RV traps Penney and Vegas, and on that colliseum the RV wants to see Penney and Vegas on a battle to the death.
:rl: DEEP SPACE :rl:
The Spectralis core.
Now in an Arcane Voidsplitter.
In other words: DEEP SPACE TO THE MAX POWER!

My image collection - My game profile
idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:12 pm

No, my wish is for a completely new storyline but improvements to the current one is a good start.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:13 pm

is this what everyone wants? if so, then we shall simply start a D&D roleplaying thread. how's that?

idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:32 pm

How about instead we try finishing Axon since it seems that Greywing isn't likely to be finishing it anytime soon?
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:04 pm

remind me again where i can read Axon, i don't believe i have ever heard of it...

idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 pm

I believe that it is on the Wiki but I couldn't access it when I atempted to in order to read it. It may just be my computer or is might be that it isn't there anymore.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:15 pm

If you're talking about the Aeon pdf, it has been restored. It was removed by accident earlier, but is back up now.

Direct link : http://svc.nulll-void.com/misc/aeon01/aeon01.pdf

It's not really a novel like the wiki says, but more a travellogue - a log of a journey. It's also still pretty rough. I might continue it one day, probably in the form of a game.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Well? is this it, idea bulb? are you talking about Aeon?

idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Yes, that was what I was refering to. I believe it is best to write when you know the background, that and it is easier to write something whose groundwork is already laied and all you have to do is complete it with the items that were from the time that it was made along with your own ideas.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:54 pm

look, i tried reading aeon but it was fairly long. For some reason, when I'm on the computer my attention span goes to practically 0. I definitely need to work on that, but could you do me the favor of summarizing it for me, please? I hope it isn't too much of a bother for you.

idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Well, I guess you have a bit of a problem reading books because I was able to read the whole thing and it is quite interesting and I now believe I know where the data cube's origonal race. More importantly, it provides some of the backstory for the universe that Greywing created which is very important to me.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 am

you didn't read it. why else wouldn't you even bother summarizing it?

the reason I have trouble reading online books is probably that it is light glaring into my eyes. I can read paper books just fine, but online books aren't so easy.

idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 am

I actually did read it but I didn't sumerise it because it would provide an exuse for you to avoid reading the book. That and I'm not that good at writing a summery, partly because I not good at telling which are important and which are frivolous.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:01 am

is this suggestion coming from you or did anyone else help you come up with it?

Return to “General Talk”