Tech article

Talk about anything not necessarily related to NULLL or games.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Tech article

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Wed May 02, 2012 5:04 am

Average shields: basically, your average shield is a bunch of magnetic fields overlapped to become a gravimetric field of high strength. this stops or diverts most shots, including missiles (but not ships because the pilot can compensate). a high-density bullet (or a magnetic bullet) can pull these shields out of alignment, making them useless until realigned. antigravity shields only stop high-density bullets/gravity weapons.

Phoenix shields: these are subspace distortion fields, much stronger than magnetic fields. in fact, shields like these are so strong that trying to plow through them is like trying to plow through 8 inches of pure steel, and that steel is constantly regenerating at an extremely high rate. it is possible for fighters to simply crash into subspace distortion fields because they mistook them for overlapped magnetic fields. these shields require some time to charge up and still require a huge amount of energy.

Railgun: depending on the size of the railgun, it could be a chain-rail-gun, in which it's essentially a machinegun that uses magnetic rails instead of chemically-propelled bullets, or it could be a rail cannon, shooting out massive bullets that dwarf the size of a usual fighter. these bullets deal high damage to shields and tend to pull average shields out of alignment by a certain amount with each bullet, but they deal damage to hull as any typical bullet would.

Laser beam: laser beams are very easy technology to get a hold on. lidar has much higher range than radar and is essentially low-powered laser beams. the concept of a laser beam is similar to that of a machinegun, except that the bullets, the photons, are essentially pure energy. these photons are supposed to cut through their target. force enough energy through the laser turret, and you have the potential of vaporizing the target; however, unless you have some form of energy amplification system for both the turret and the laser beam itself, you will need a LOT of energy to get the vaporizing effect.

Turbolaser: essentially, these are railguns that use lasers instead of bullets. what railguns do to shields, turbolasers do to hull, and vice versa. turbolasers are great for penetrating the hull, but what makes them really great is that if they penetrate armor, then the armor plate they just penetrated has a high chance of exploding due to the vaporizing effect of turbolasers. essentially, turbolasers work the same way as laser beams, but instead of just taking a bunch of small bullets, a turbolaser melts down the lead of thousands upon hundreds of thousands of bullets, and forces them to stick together into one big, gigantic bullet.

Particle ray: basically, the concept for a particle ray is the same as a laser beam; however, instead of firing energy-generated photons, you are firing extracted neutrons or protons, both of which hold far more energy than just a little packet called a photon and both of which can deal far more damage than photons can ever dream about. neutrons break down conventional armor, but are stopped by energized armor; protons effectively penetrate armor by counteracting the armor-strengthening electrons.

Q-ray: I got this idea when i was studying a doctor's needle. essentially, you take a subspace distortion field and shape it like a needle; inside this needle is antimatter of some sort. you use the "needle" to aim the antimatter where it is needed (either through shields or, in case of planetary destruction, at the planet's core) and then you inject it. the results are, shall we say, catastrophic. the adelan device works in a similar fashion, but it shoots the antimatter in shield-encased bullets, hence the similar technology nessesary for both weapons but the increased effectiveness and function of the Q-ray.

Teleportation: basically, this opens up a rectangular hole in subspace; the length of this rectangle dictates how far in that direction the hole's other side is, while the width and height determine the size of the teleport radius. the technomancers were unaware of this teleportation system's potential and george treet invented an oversized version for his brainchild USS Phoenix. typically, teleportation of this massive scale requires a massive amount of energy, which treet was able to solve by giving phoenix a power plant that, quite frankly, only he could have thought of and honestly, was so huge that it could ONLY fit on phoenix (yet at a cost of it's size, the artificial supernova produces more power than enough hypermatter power plants to fit in the same area!)

Hyperspace: simply put, there are two types of space, subspace and hyperspace. in the prime dimensions (3d, 4th, etc), you have subspace; in between these dimensions (3.5, 4.5, etc) is hyperspace, where the rules of physics are very different. life cannot typically exist in these dimensions and they are usually sterile; the reason for this is that there are extremely large amounts of radiation of very many different types, 99% (maybe even 99.9%) of which are unrecorded and were previously unknown. one of the laws of physics broken by being in hyperspace, is the law that as your velocity increases, the force of gravity increases, to a point where it becomes impossible to go faster than light. this law means ftl in hyperspace IS possible, unlike in subspace.

warp drive: essentially, your ship warps subspace around you in order to circumvent the gravitational-amplification-by-increased-velocity law. it takes a relativisticly large amount of energy, but a simple matter-antimatter collision power plant should be able to power warp drive. some high-level technomancers use warp drive as it can increase high velocity while using low energy.

Space fold drive-- basically, space fold drive uses a combination of hyperspace and subspace to fold this area of space to the target. the area in between doesn't have anything happen to it, however chaos can happen if anything tries to leave that area!

Tachyon conversion drive-- essentially, your ship becomes a bunch of tachyons, immediately circumventing the same law that warp drive does only using a different mechanism. the acceleration is slow (the top speed ever achieved being approximately a thousand times the speed of light, while warp drive and hyperdrive can achieve speeds exceeding a 100,000 times the speed of light).

Telepathy: a telepathic person's brain has access to subspace and can send messages to each other on a very specific frequency that only telepathics can access. typically, a person with telepathy is either born with it or has had it genetically modified into them; it can be learned, but it is a hard skill to learn.

Psionicism: basically, a psionicist can, quite simply, put mind over matter. a psionicist can, at minimum, use the mind as an extra arm of at least as much strength as their own arms; a powerful psionicist can actually bring an entire starship out of the sky! psionics are a skill one is born with though you can learn psionicism. psionicism is easier to learn if you have telepathy already but not vice versa; think of telepathy as psionics 101.

Electron Sorcery: In essense, Electron Sorcery is where the brain (string theory at work) manipulates electrons in order to perform amazing actions. such feats include hacking and manipulating other people. these feats are classified as Electron Sorcery, and, as the name states, whenever someone has talent in such an ability, he is known as an Electron Sorcerer (because the first discovered electron sorcerer had a very un-imaginative doctor).

more will be explained as requested.
Last edited by Wv_Hawk_vW on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Discord: WvHawkvW#6491.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Re: Tech article

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Wed May 02, 2012 5:05 am

Hentai-pascel: sinse 1 pascel=5 miles, one hentai-pascel is 50,000 miles long. hentai in this case is 10,000, similar to how kilo in kilometers is 1000. invented by the ta'yawhans.
Lockjaw and his pilot wrote:Lockjaw: target engines only, I want prisoners to interrogate and the ability to study the apex of this universe's technology.
Pilot: we are now 7000 hentai-pascels away from them.
Tactical: now in weapon's range...
Lockjaw: keep moving us closer...

Lockjaw: charge shield capacitors.
Tactical: but sir, if we raise shields the cloak will destabilize them!
Lockjaw: I am aware of that.
Pilot: now 5000 hentai-pascels away...
Lockjaw: steady; continue on graviton power...
Pilot: range, 4500 hentai-pascels away...
Lockjaw: continue moving...

Lockjaw: stand by to transfer cloaking power to weapons... on my command...
Pilot: now 2000 hentai-pascels away...
Lockjaw: Tozh'ivosh, muchner; muweh!
Gunner: mu'tai.
Lockjaw: Wége... Wége... Wége...
Pilot: now 1000 hentai-pascels...
Lockjaw: Wége...
Pilot: now 500 hentai-pascels...
Lockjaw: Mev'wu; moveh!
*the superbattleship decloaks*
Mobius: Ta'yawhan superbattleship decloaking sir! they're arming weapons!
Penney: fire at them!
*phoenix fires the Q-ray at Lockjaw's superbattleship; the nose takes the Q-ray straight through and the star inside gets hit. this causes the superbattleship to start spinning like a top in slow-motion.*

Parsec: approximately one cubic light year, invented by who-knows-who and universally, even omniversally, accepted as a unit of measurement.

1 megalight: approximately 100 lightyears per hour.
The Merged Circular Alliance wrote:Penney: 5 megalight... 6 megalight.... 7 megalight...
Treet: oh my god how much energy can you squeeze from that thing?!
Mobius: you will be surprised.
Penney: 12 megalight... 13 megalight... 14 megalight...
Camus: he's still gaining on us!
Treet: I'm diverting power from your shields so that we can go faster, camus. they are useless in hyperspace, absorb a lot of energy and besides, thanks to mobius it can be channeled to phoenix.
penney: 20 megalight... twenty-five megalight?!... 30 megalight!...
Mobius: I'm throwing my own hyperdrive into the mix.
Penney: 60 megalight!!! 70 megalight!!! 80 megalight!!!
Camus: how the hell...?
*the alpha battleship overtakes phoenix and keeps going*
Xur: Move faster you larps!
*xur's battleship exits the hyperspace field, and a subspace eddy is spotted behind the group*
Penney: 90 megalight!!! Holy shit, 100 megalight!!! we are still accelerating!!!
*mobius and treet are now diverting more energy without speaking. suddenly, phoenix is hurled out of hyperspace at record speeds of 220 megalight years per second.
Last edited by Wv_Hawk_vW on Thu May 03, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 am

Chyriax wrote:care to give an actual explanation for WTF an electron sorcerer is?

an electron sorcerer is a person who regularly uses electron sorcery; in other words, they use their naturally generated brainwaves to shift electrons around. typically, electron sorcerers know psionicism and telepathy, and they are a force to be reckoned with.
Last edited by Wv_Hawk_vW on Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 pm

care to give an actual explanation for WTF an electron sorcerer is?
incredible crystaline supporter of all allies and destroyer of all enemies,
Chyriax
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Chyriax wrote:care to give an actual explanation for WTF an electron sorcerer is?

updated in response to this question.

Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Thu May 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:an electron sorcerer is a person who regularly uses electron sorcery.

ok, so an engineer is a person who regularly uses engineering. a pirate is someone engages in piracy. to someone learning english, these definitions are the worst ones to find. never refer back to the word you are defining when making a definition. again, can you explain electron sorcery within the scope of the xyth universe.

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Hentai-pascel: sinse 1 pascel=5 miles, one hentai-pascel is 50,000 miles long. hentai in this case is 10,000, similar to how kilo in kilometers is 1000. invented by the ta'yawhans.

also, go look up the definition of hentai and tell me if you still want to keep it as something to measure with.
incredible crystaline supporter of all allies and destroyer of all enemies,
Chyriax
Ginger88895

Postby Ginger88895 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:43 am

Post-powered Gun: This gun use the post's in the forum to power it up. But how? Simply, we post posts using electric wire or wifi, thus creating a sign of varying electric level. This level change will cause the electrons beside the electric pulse move. This chain reaction, however, is too weak for us to sense. The post-powered gun can sense it, so the gun uses wormhole and 5-th dimension technology to turn the incoming electron into really high energy. The energy easily causes a burst, but in the gun it becomes a ray of pure energy. Using some energy mirrors, the gun sends it out toward the enemy.

-z0mg VOID ENGINE!
-no, it's cheat engine.
-0mg pwned xD
DEEP SPACE

Postby DEEP SPACE » Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 am

I think that this thing of the tech article is looping around Hawk's fanfics. So suggesting a new tech will be little disapointing, i think.
:rl: DEEP SPACE :rl:
The Spectralis core.
Now in an Arcane Voidsplitter.
In other words: DEEP SPACE TO THE MAX POWER!

My image collection - My game profile
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sun May 20, 2012 2:03 pm

suggesting a new tech normally will get that tech into the article, however i will not put anything that cannot be implemented due to the physics. if the physics that make it work cannot be applied to real life (eg, you can fudge and assume subspace exists, however there are no posters controlling is IRL), then it cannot be implemented here.

IE, if it cannot be implemented in real life, it cannot be implemented here.

DEEP SPACE

Postby DEEP SPACE » Sun May 20, 2012 7:07 pm

So is related with the physics instead of your fanfics.
The Spectralis core.

Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sun May 20, 2012 7:44 pm

exactly! I'm simply using this tech article in order to assist people in understanding certain terminology that, unless one were to think hard and place the word with the context, they wouldn't be able to understand.

hyperdrive, for example, is so overused that there needs to be a convenient place to put it where people can figure out what it is and how it works.

furthermore, I am using this article to accept technological suggestions for the next story.

DEEP SPACE

Postby DEEP SPACE » Sun May 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:I am using this article to accept technological suggestions for the next story.

I catch you! :p
The Spectralis core.

Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sun May 20, 2012 8:51 pm

the next story will be interesting, to say the least. not everything was annihilated, not all was sterilized.

DEEP SPACE

Postby DEEP SPACE » Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 pm

My tech ideas are related to CAC as well. But i don't want to spoil them.
The Spectralis core.

flareghost

Postby flareghost » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:53 am

How can you refrain from having a Hadron cannon is beyond me

Hadron Cannon: as it charges, converts energy into matter and antimatter,
matter being the byproduct, and just do what comes natural.

post-ripple cannon: a device designed to charge for it's entire life after firing once,
in essences "borrowing" power from the future, through the distorted ripples of time
with other dimensions as a medium to transmit said charged power of the future PRC
back to the present moment they are used. HORRIBLE for the environment
as it spends most of it's life charging in scrapyards rather than on the field firing.
(post powered gun might sound better but too bad)

btw is pascel also a unit invented by the ta'yawhans, the closest unit i know of is pascal
which is a unit of measure for pressure

parsec i do agree are a real unit of measure but, as i recall
it is a one dimensional unit of measure, larger than a lightyear,
and i think something to do with stars or the sun or something like that
flareghost

Postby flareghost » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:03 am

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Laser beam: laser beams are very easy technology to get a hold on. lidar has much higher range than radar and is essentially low-powered laser beams. the concept of a laser beam is similar to that of a machinegun, except that the bullets, the photons, are essentially pure energy. these photons are supposed to cut through their target. force enough energy through the laser turret, and you have the potential of vaporizing the target; however, unless you have some form of energy amplification system for both the turret and the laser beam itself, you will need a LOT of energy to get the vaporizing effect.

if lidar is a light version of radar, i personally think it's not as good,
i guess the biggest problem i see is the lack of reliability,
say your initial beam is sent out, hits an enemy and returns right?
but say an orbiting planet, or any moving body is now in it's return path,
the beam is completely absorbed and what does it tell you... no enemy,
worst yet, imaging you enemy has just seen your lidar flash, knows your position,
and you are none the wiser.
Besides there are other waves that can travel at the speed of light.

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Teleportation: basically, this opens up a rectangular hole in subspace; the length of this rectangle dictates how far in that direction the hole's other side is, while the width and height determine the size of the teleport radius. the technomancers were unaware of this teleportation system's potential and george treet invented an oversized version for his brainchild USS Phoenix. typically, teleportation of this massive scale requires a massive amount of energy, which treet was able to solve by giving phoenix a power plant that, quite frankly, only he could have thought of and honestly, was so huge that it could ONLY fit on phoenix (yet at a cost of it's size, the artificial supernova produces more power than enough hypermatter power plants to fit in the same area!)

don't like circular holes eh?, just saying cylindrical holes are better in most case
unless you have square faced ships.

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Hyperspace: simply put, there are two types of space, subspace and hyperspace. in the prime dimensions (3d, 4th, etc), you have subspace; in between these dimensions (3.5, 4.5, etc) is hyperspace, where the rules of physics are very different. life cannot typically exist in these dimensions and they are usually sterile; the reason for this is that there are extremely large amounts of radiation of very many different types, 99% (maybe even 99.9%) of which are unrecorded and were previously unknown. one of the laws of physics broken by being in hyperspace, is the law that as your velocity increases, the force of gravity increases, to a point where it becomes impossible to go faster than light. this law means ftl in hyperspace IS possible, unlike in subspace.

2.5D implies 2.1D, 5.6789D, or even 3.1415D also exist, which then implies
that to travel from 2D to 3D you must travel through each infinite number of hyperspace,
but if you need to travel through an infinite number of hyperspaces
you will never reach the next level of subspace... o.0"?

for the record, that theorem essentially say the closer you approach
the speed of light, the larger you mass becomes. And because your mass
becomes so larger the inertia of yourself also proportionally gets greater
and the more force required to move you.

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:warp drive: essentially, your ship warps subspace around you in order to circumvent the gravitational-amplification-by-increased-velocity law. it takes a relativisticly large amount of energy, but a simple matter-antimatter collision power plant should be able to power warp drive. some high-level technomancers use warp drive as it can increase high velocity while using low energy.

Space fold drive-- basically, space fold drive uses a combination of hyperspace and subspace to fold this area of space to the target. the area in between doesn't have anything happen to it, however chaos can happen if anything tries to leave that area!

those two sound like the same thing... distorting space, and traveling through
said distorted space; very bad idea; just imagine you from the regular space,
you will witness an elongated ship stretch past you, natural response,
fire all weapons at this unannounced trespasser, and the likelihood of you meeting
only one settlement is probably low, as are your chances of a clear opening
to warp/fold/distort to you desired destination.

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Telepathy: a telepathic person's brain has access to subspace and can send messages to each other on a very specific frequency that only telepathics can access. typically, a person with telepathy is either born with it or has had it genetically modified into them; it can be learned, but it is a hard skill to learn.

Psionicism: basically, a psionicist can, quite simply, put mind over matter. a psionicist can, at minimum, use the mind as an extra arm of at least as much strength as their own arms; a powerful psionicist can actually bring an entire starship out of the sky! psionics are a skill one is born with though you can learn psionicism. psionicism is easier to learn if you have telepathy already but not vice versa; think of telepathy as psionics 101.

Electron Sorcery: essentially, you use your mental power to shift electrons around and perform certain tasks normally thought impossible. you can hack into computers with your mind and you can synthesize certain materials, and you can even manipulate the thoughts of non-telepathics, to a certain extent. electron sorcery is very difficult to learn if you havent obtained telepathy and psionicism both, and you cannot be born with it, but it is extremely powerful.

hmmm... this telepathy sounds like they must have some type of
transmitting and receiving antenna/device/organ.
As a stretch in this concept, this antenna much also become larger
to emit more energy to so these other feats such as Psionicism;
you would need an antenna that would transmit the energy needed to
move that several 1000 km long, several 1000 ton starship;
or in the case of Electron Sorcery it appears you will need
not only the focus but the precision to manipulate the emitted energy
to accurately move an electrostatically charged particle
10^-14 meter or even possibly smaller
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:49 pm

flareghost wrote:
Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Laser beam: laser beams are very easy technology to get a hold on. lidar has much higher range than radar and is essentially low-powered laser beams. the concept of a laser beam is similar to that of a machinegun, except that the bullets, the photons, are essentially pure energy. these photons are supposed to cut through their target. force enough energy through the laser turret, and you have the potential of vaporizing the target; however, unless you have some form of energy amplification system for both the turret and the laser beam itself, you will need a LOT of energy to get the vaporizing effect.

if lidar is a light version of radar, i personally think it's not as good,
i guess the biggest problem i see is the lack of reliability,
say your initial beam is sent out, hits an enemy and returns right?
but say an orbiting planet, or any moving body is now in it's return path,
the beam is completely absorbed and what does it tell you... no enemy,
worst yet, imaging you enemy has just seen your lidar flash, knows your position,
and you are none the wiser.
Besides there are other waves that can travel at the speed of light.

lidar is actually used by the military nowadays. at first, i thought of similar problems, but then i realized that it is extremely difficult to detect lidar being used on you. I based lidar on what is actually used in real life; i didn't come up with the concept myself.

flareghost wrote:
Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Teleportation: basically, this opens up a rectangular hole in subspace; the length of this rectangle dictates how far in that direction the hole's other side is, while the width and height determine the size of the teleport radius. the technomancers were unaware of this teleportation system's potential and george treet invented an oversized version for his brainchild USS Phoenix. typically, teleportation of this massive scale requires a massive amount of energy, which treet was able to solve by giving phoenix a power plant that, quite frankly, only he could have thought of and honestly, was so huge that it could ONLY fit on phoenix (yet at a cost of it's size, the artificial supernova produces more power than enough hypermatter power plants to fit in the same area!)

don't like circular holes eh?, just saying cylindrical holes are better in most case
unless you have square faced ships.

actually, i thought i had said trapezoid, but whether its a trapezoid or a cone is irrelevant. the hole in subspace will transport everything inside in the direction of the front/top, which is smaller than the back/bottom. the distance is determined by the size and angle of the sides, and the size of the back dictates how much is teleported as well as how much power is required.

flareghost wrote:
Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Hyperspace: simply put, there are two types of space, subspace and hyperspace. in the prime dimensions (3d, 4th, etc), you have subspace; in between these dimensions (3.5, 4.5, etc) is hyperspace, where the rules of physics are very different. life cannot typically exist in these dimensions and they are usually sterile; the reason for this is that there are extremely large amounts of radiation of very many different types, 99% (maybe even 99.9%) of which are unrecorded and were previously unknown. one of the laws of physics broken by being in hyperspace, is the law that as your velocity increases, the force of gravity increases, to a point where it becomes impossible to go faster than light. this law means ftl in hyperspace IS possible, unlike in subspace.

2.5D implies 2.1D, 5.6789D, or even 3.1415D also exist, which then implies
that to travel from 2D to 3D you must travel through each infinite number of hyperspace,
but if you need to travel through an infinite number of hyperspaces
you will never reach the next level of subspace... o.0"?

for the record, that theorem essentially say the closer you approach
the speed of light, the larger you mass becomes. And because your mass
becomes so larger the inertia of yourself also proportionally gets greater
and the more force required to move you.

there are indeed dimensions infinitely between 2d and 3d. however, there's 2 ways to travel between dimensions. 1: you can enter gateways, whether natural or artificial, that essentially let you into the other dimension; this is essentially like taking a tunnel through a mountain. number 2, you can create an artificial rift between the dimensions, and you can enter that realm via the rift. it doesn't have to last long if its a temporary rift (but if it's a permanent rift, the apparatus required too keep it open turns it into a gate).

the reason your mass, and thus the inertia, increases, is because of gravity. in essence, as you approach the speed of light, subspace gets compressed in front of your ship, much like how when you approach the speed of sound, air gets compressed in front of your ship. the concept is simple: you can go faster when the thing limiting your speed is removed.

flareghost wrote:
Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:warp drive: essentially, your ship warps subspace around you in order to circumvent the gravitational-amplification-by-increased-velocity law. it takes a relativisticly large amount of energy, but a simple matter-antimatter collision power plant should be able to power warp drive. some high-level technomancers use warp drive as it can increase high velocity while using low energy.

those two sound like the same thing... distorting space, and traveling through
said distorted space; very bad idea; just imagine you from the regular space,
you will witness an elongated ship stretch past you, natural response,
fire all weapons at this unannounced trespasser, and the likelihood of you meeting
only one settlement is probably low, as are your chances of a clear opening
to warp/fold/distort to you desired destination.

actually, they aren't the same thing. in one case, warp drive, you are warping subspace around you artificially the same way that a supersonic airplane warps air around it, naturally. the reason warp drive is even listed is that it is extremely difficult to get subspace to warp around you unless you have a highly specific mechanism, and that mechanism is appropriately labelled as warp drive. Space fold drive, on the other hand, is like an ant on a piece of paper. lets say the ant is trying to get from point A to point B. this paper is 5 miles long, and point A and B have those 5 miles in between. the ant has a long trek ahead of him, right? well voila! space fold drive takes that paper and folds it, such that point A and point B are actually touching. now the ant only has to travel a centimeter. This is the concept behind space fold.

flareghost wrote:
Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:Telepathy: a telepathic person's brain has access to subspace and can send messages to each other on a very specific frequency that only telepathics can access. typically, a person with telepathy is either born with it or has had it genetically modified into them; it can be learned, but it is a hard skill to learn.

Electron Sorcery: essentially, you use your mental power to shift electrons around and perform certain tasks normally thought impossible. you can hack into computers with your mind and you can synthesize certain materials, and you can even manipulate the thoughts of non-telepathics, to a certain extent. electron sorcery is very difficult to learn if you havent obtained telepathy and psionicism both, and you cannot be born with it, but it is extremely powerful.

hmmm... this telepathy sounds like they must have some type of
transmitting and receiving antenna/device/organ.
As a stretch in this concept, this antenna much also become larger
to emit more energy to so these other feats such as Psionicism;
you would need an antenna that would transmit the energy needed to
move that several 1000 km long, several 1000 ton starship;
or in the case of Electron Sorcery it appears you will need
not only the focus but the precision to manipulate the emitted energy
to accurately move an electrostatically charged particle
10^-14 meter or even possibly smaller

this was me trying to apply a fantasy mechanism (example, magic) to a sci-fi world. I had to apply technobabble, and obviously, i did a very poor job, hehe.

flareghost

Postby flareghost » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:actually, i thought i had said trapezoid, but whether its a trapezoid or a cone is irrelevant. the hole in subspace will transport everything inside in the direction of the front/top, which is smaller than the back/bottom. the distance is determined by the size and angle of the sides, and the size of the back dictates how much is teleported as well as how much power is required.

my mistake i interpreted that as the shape of the face of the hole,
if i understand you now, you are talking about the hole tapering along it's depth,
right?

regardless as i have been described teleporting as traveling from point A
to point B without going through any of the space in between,
and i can accept that
flareghost

Postby flareghost » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:the reason your mass, and thus the inertia, increases, is because of gravity. in essence, as you approach the speed of light, subspace gets compressed in front of your ship, much like how when you approach the speed of sound, air gets compressed in front of your ship. the concept is simple: you can go faster when the thing limiting your speed is removed.

i guess there is just no way we can agree on this topic;
the way i see it mass causes of gravity not gravity causes mass.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 am

flareghost wrote:
Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:the reason your mass, and thus the inertia, increases, is because of gravity. in essence, as you approach the speed of light, subspace gets compressed in front of your ship, much like how when you approach the speed of sound, air gets compressed in front of your ship. the concept is simple: you can go faster when the thing limiting your speed is removed.

i guess there is just no way we can agree on this topic;
the way i see it mass causes of gravity not gravity causes mass.

actually, it is because gravity is not always caused by mass, that energy-based artificial gravity is possible. under most circumstances, either you can have a ship constantly spinning on an axis, or you can have the ship sitting on top of an extremely heavy bottom. the spinning effect isn't truely gravity (if you have a heavier object, it doesn't fall faster), and the heavy-disk effect isn't truely artificial.

further, i believe your mistaking mass for density. Mass measures the object's resistance to acceleration; density is mass per unit volume. you can have a large object of high mass and low density (wouldn't take much to cause a planet made of feathers to break apart), while at the same time also having a small object of low mass and high density (essentially, a marble of heavium). while gravity is neither caused by density nor is it caused by mass, it causes mass a lot more than it causes density.

Return to “General Talk”