bugs/requests

Talk about anything regarding the Nebula Warriors game.
Chyriax

bugs/requests

Postby Chyriax » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 pm

first bug already lol. might be my browser, but its not doing anything to the other games so i doubt it. wins/losses reset to 0 after a match so it only shows 1/0 or 0/1.

edit: nevermind, it shows wins/losses per mission, meaning that it won't show any changes from 0/0 on any other mission. my bad on that one.
incredible crystaline supporter of all allies and destroyer of all enemies,
Chyriax
Wv_Hawk_vW

Re: bugs/requests

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:03 pm

This game reminds me of chess.

Sometimes when two ships of equal strength fight (carrier-carrier, legend-legend, etc), the one that wins only takes 1 damage, and sometimes, my saboteur doesnt die.
My skype is helix.cipher if anyone decides they want to contact me or do a sci-fi RP or something.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
PenneyRZ

Postby PenneyRZ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:16 pm

I am pretty good at chess and this doesn't remind me very much at all of chess. At best it is as admin said and kinda like stratego.

Also, I think that admin should make the random targets not pick the same one for multiple random picks with multiple ships in play.

The one that is revealed should be revealed and not pickable as an unrevealed one the next time.

BTW, is this game out on other sites too now? Did it bypass the testing phase or are we alpha/beta testing it now?
PenneyRZ
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:28 pm

The revealed ship is random from all available targets, but having more than one reveal available in a game is rare (pvp games also only hands out one reveal per player).

The game is only out on NULLL now and will be for about a week. If no big issues come up, i'll release it on other sites from next saturday onwards.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:15 pm

slight change i would like here. at the end of a match, there isn't always time to see what ships are where. changing the system from automatically leaving the match after revealing to player hits a button to leave the match screen would allow us to analyze the situation and determine how right or wrong we were about positioning when its all over. also, leaving the reveal from ship placement up for a few more seconds or permanantly for that ship could be nice, since the number tends to blend into the grey ship placeholder and can be difficult to find.
@hawk: two ships of equal strength fighting leads to the nebula determining the winner. if your ship is left with 1 health, the nebula favored you in that spot. this is the most favorable possiblitity you can get, because any other arrangement will cause you and the enemy to lose equal amounts of strength(negating sabetour) but this one causes your enemy to lose one more total strength than you do. how the sabetour does not die i don't know. it should die if it gets into any combat at all, but i don't think it adds to your total strength if its alive at the end, so no matter what its to your advantage to use it on an enemy ship before the match finishes.

@greywing: its only a cosmetic difference between races, so you might mod the version that other sites get to not include AR, thus giving your site something to bring other players in without putting anyone off by witholding something that they can't live without.

edit: how does this game factor into our profile score? pvp wins only would be great, if we had more players. as it stands, ive tried a couple pvp matches, only to find nobody there to join. giving one point for every few wins like in HD1 would work, but still.... anyway, maybe just the acheivements that work for it. either way works, im just putting the question out.
Chyriax
Bluewing

Postby Bluewing » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:08 pm

I have not found any bugs yet but I find that the win/loose screen disappears too quickly if you try to analyze the end results.

Also to whoever I just played, good game. ;D
"Its not a feature, its a bug." -Rivi'i Tech Support
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:14 pm

There are no pvp related achieves, since HD Spectrum showed me that people will set up multiple accounts to play against themselves and there's no sure way to filter those out (definately not easy to do client-side, so whatever i do to prevent it will only be a measure to be applied after the game has been completed).

I can see about increasing the timer on the game over screen. There is a continue button to leave the screen, but after a while it does fade out automatically, that delay can be increased.

AR is already exclusive to NULLL (and Kongregate, too). Other sites get told to come play here if they want the AR.
SVC - NULLL games.
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:04 pm

do we post ai issues here? for one thing, ai should NOT place its first ship into a reveal-slot.

Greywing wrote:There are no pvp related achieves, since HD Spectrum showed me that people will set up multiple accounts to play against themselves and there's no sure way to filter those out.

so what? (i don't mean for NW, i mean for any game) if a few brats grab the pvp-achievements through cheating, how does it really hurt me? and if the same brats get the 4th moon or the (utterly worthless) 2nd moon card, it doesn't mean you should stop implementing achievements.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:43 pm

I guess, since there's no reward that gives you an advantadge in pvp, there's indeed no big deal if someone cheats on these achievements. I'll see about adding a few pvp achieves.

The AI is indeed not supposed to do that.
SVC - NULLL games.
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:49 pm

ahh, so i see my concerns have already been anticipated save the timer on game over screen. i would say do without the timer there, to give us as much or as little time as we need for that.

edit: ok, good point greywing. make the timer about a minute or two, and lets hope its not too long for those people who can't see the big button in the center of the screen. lol ;D

@bluewing: that was me. good game, and good job on your part at least. i certainly wasn't thinking right at the time though. i somehow let you keep me on the lanes favoring you, and i stupidly put out my 6 at the start, knowing that if you played anything like me you would hit up the reveal early, and settle for hitting the second best ship with the sabetour when you knew what it was. lol, you did good, i played horribly. our match does raise a couple questions for greywing though.
@greywing: could there be a chat option in multiplayer, like the one in HDS, and some way of informing players who they are facing at the start? the player joining in the match can see who they are facing, but the one who created the match has no idea, and not being able to congratulate/corespond with your opponent doesn't feel right after so long in HDS at the very least saying gg at the end of a match.
Last edited by Chyriax on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chyriax
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:00 pm

If i remove the timer completely, there will be people wondering forever how to exit that screen :p
I'll do so if i can make the continue button stand out more.

I kept the game simple since there wasn't much time to add too many details. I can look into adding a chat option however.

The lack of opponent's name showing is an oversight. It should be showing when the opponent plays a ship for instance and you're notified of that happening. Perhaps a permanent textfield showing your opponent's name might do the trick.
SVC - NULLL games.
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 pm

ok, more achievements could be useful. bluewing and i already have the top scores with all 3 of them gotten, and its only the first day, while ive had classes to go to today. and the AI is way too predictable in certain situations. probably way too much work, but designing at least one more algorithm for the AI to randomly choose between the ones available would help stop that.

edit: hate to ask for even more than i already have(lol, i seem to be putting up a lot for this one in a short time), but the alerts for online players and pvp matches created like in HDS could be great for promoting pvp here, since i don't know of any of us who would want to have to keep checking the pvp screen or wait at it for another person to join a match, or wait forever constantly restarting the match trying to find an opponent.

i think this game is way too awesome for me, im going to be spending entirely too much time playing it.
Chyriax
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:39 pm

well, I just finished the legendary challenge....

wheres the achievement? :P
My skype is helix.cipher if anyone decides they want to contact me or do a sci-fi RP or something.

Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 pm

DB reports that you only completed 5 legendary missions.
SVC - NULLL games.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Chyriax wrote:edit: hate to ask for even more than i already have(lol, i seem to be putting up a lot for this one in a short time), but the alerts for online players and pvp matches created like in HDS could be great for promoting pvp here, since i don't know of any of us who would want to have to keep checking the pvp screen or wait at it for another person to join a match, or wait forever constantly restarting the match trying to find an opponent.

This is not going to happen, even though it would help alot. The system that was added to HD Spectrum was something that was created quickly as it was needed asap at that time and it's far from perfect. To create something like this that works like it should, it would take a lot of testing first since it requires some trickery to work properly.

The multiplayer service i use has a hard cap of 45 players per room. For a game room where you play against another player, this is no problem since there's only 2 players in the game (every game is one room). For a service room, you need all players to be connected to the this one room, so their clients can send messages to this room whenever this player creates a game. This is where the problems begin since you can never predict how many players there will be. Communication between rooms is not possible either. So you create a system with multiple rooms and you designate one random player's client as moderator (player doesn't know this). This moderator is connected to all the rooms that are needed, depending on how many players there are.
Whenever this player's client receives a 'new game created' message from any service room, it will send it to all the other service rooms he is connected to.
It works in theory, but it can break down quickly, if the system can't detected that the chosen moderator is no longer working, connected, etc and a new one needs to be chosen in a reasonable amount of time. The more players that are connected and the more rooms there are, the more likely it is that this system stops functioning as it should - the load on the single client might be more than his connection can handle.

Another solution is to continuously poll the roomlist (ie number of games), store the result and compare that result with the previous result and see if any games were added since then.
Problem here is that every client will be polling every so often (say 15 seconds), whereas in the previous system, data is only sent from a game creator to the service room, and then from this service room to all connected players. The difference in amount of datatransfer between client and server can potentially be huge in this case, but it's also more reliable.

Neither system is perfect, since there's always the delay between client and server. In the first system you get a notification when a room is created, the max delay is the ping time between the creator and the server + the time between your client and the server. In that timespan, the game can already be taken by someone else. In the 2nd system, the delay can be as high as the polling frequency.

It looks like a simple thing, but it's in fact something that needs a fair bit of work and testing to get right. I'll be exploring this in more detail for the next HD (or whatever 'large' pvp game i make next), for this game, it would be overkill.

What i've been meaning to look into is a mini chat on all of the game pages on this site (similar to what kongregate has), so active (and logged in) players can take part in this. But i've seen this on other sites as well and it can quickly turn into a mess that needs to be moderated, requires ban lists, spam control and what not.
An in-game chat for games that need it (like HD Spectrum, this one, new HD) might be a good solution, combined with some form of pvp game creation notifactions (optional, to be turned on/off if a player wants that).

Also see this topic : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=579
I'd like to hear your opinion on the general idea of chat options as explained in that topic.
SVC - NULLL games.
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Greywing wrote:...something that needs a fair bit of work and testing to get right...
...for this game, it would be overkill....

good. do it.
use NW as a testing ground for HD3 and future stuff.

since you have a pretty timid community here, you can just tinker or replace multiplayer backend and see how it works for a week. and then try another one. that is not something you can do after you launch an ambitious new multiplayer game on several sites.

- - - - - - - - - -

on the other note, after-game continue button is good now, but you should add the glow around other buttons (refresh, create game, etc.) to differentiate them from info panels.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Greywing wrote:DB reports that you only completed 5 legendary missions.

Log in as me. you will see that there is not a single mission that I have not beaten once.

dark1n wrote:
Greywing wrote:...something that needs a fair bit of work and testing to get right...
...for this game, it would be overkill....

good. do it.
use NW as a testing ground for HD3 and future stuff.

since you have a pretty timid community here, you can just tinker or replace multiplayer backend and see how it works for a week. and then try another one. that is not something you can do after you launch an ambitious new multiplayer game on several sites.

- - - - - - - - - -

on the other note, after-game continue button is good now, but you should add the glow around other buttons (refresh, create game, etc.) to differentiate them from info panels.

agreed.

Bluewing

Postby Bluewing » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:29 pm

MP has stopped working after my match with chyrax and kept not working until a few minutes ago. It might be server trouble.
"Its not a feature, its a bug." -Rivi'i Tech Support
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:40 pm

I don't have control over the server, it seems okay now at least.
SVC - NULLL games.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Wv_Hawk_vW wrote:
Greywing wrote:DB reports that you only completed 5 legendary missions.

Log in as me. you will see that there is not a single mission that I have not beaten once.

Return to “Nebula Warriors”