Races in NW

Talk about anything regarding the Nebula Warriors game.
dark1n

Races in NW

Postby dark1n » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:07 pm

we're all thinking it so i might as well say it..

good as nebula warriors already is, we all look forward to the day when races are more than mere cosmetics.

i'd like to see battle queen give +2 to a random ally when launched, and neyon'moru deal 1 damage to ships adjacent to main target, and akata repair one of adjacent ships for 1 strength, and chyriax give away a random +1 on launch and every three turns it remains in play etc...

i know you aren't eager to jump into the balancing hell right away greywing, but you will do it eventually i hope. because, now, that choice of 9x3 missions is quite pointless and choosing you own race is only good to give you a favorite background color.

and i wouldn't give abilities to all ships. maybe 2 ships for a start. legend and a cruiser.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Re: Races in NW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:14 pm

hmm, hidden dimensions all over again? no. I think the legends should get the abilities.
My skype is helix.cipher if anyone decides they want to contact me or do a sci-fi RP or something.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:56 pm

not a good idea here. abilities are giveaways to whats what. the point of this game is pure logic, calculating odds of what ship is what, and determining how to best defeat it by using the nebula, not ship strength, to win. the sabetour is the one exception, being that you want to hit the legend with it. i like the game as it is though, without anything special. its based off a board game where everything is equal between players, and should stay that way. try playing chess with units having abilities. its nowhere near as fun.(ive tried, for example, some units could attack at knights range, etc without moving) in the use of abilities, either the change is automatically shown, thus tipping someone off to the fact that a legend/whatever is in play, or it isn't shown, making life hell for both sides trying to figure out whats what. anything that throws off logic defeats the purpose of the game, but anything that shows what happens when abilities hit is a complete tip off and makes the perfect place to throw a sabetour. besides, nulll games has only this game where the difference between choices is cosmetics, albeit some games don't offer choices and still keep the races mostly equivelant, they don't give the choice.
incredible crystaline supporter of all allies and destroyer of all enemies,
Chyriax
idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:04 pm

but it would allow you to acuritly I.D. a ship that way you could know what is what because as it is the game is baced on pure luck and that is not good for a strategy game also when you use the area that shows the power of a ship why dosn't it show the ship's class as well?
I am light, pearceing the blackness of space.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:15 pm

An early version of the game had abilities for the legend ships, but i removed them again. If you look at each game as a puzzle that needs to be solved through logic and bluff, these abilities make doing that impossible and the game becomes a lot more random than it is.

Yes, there's an element of luck in it. But it's also about trying to figure if your opponent is baiting you or not.
A ship was placed in front of your reveal slot - is it a powerfull ship to force you lose a ship in trying to get the reveal bonus, or is it merely a small ship trying to bait one of your ships to lose some strength. You might expect your opponent to place his strongest ships in slots where currents are in his favor, so these slots might be good candidates for you to place a saboteur in. Once a few ships have been destroyed or damaged, you get a better idea of what might be in play and where.

Combining abilities in a system where ship placement is important and the opponent is hidden, is a concept i explored before (and have some ideas for possible games for), but Nebula Warriors was never intended to be such a game.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:24 pm

pvp will be very interesting here, as computers are more predictable. bluffs will be commonplace here, as someone might put a 1 in a current in their favor just to see you waste your sabetour on it. strength counting is also a great tactic. put your 6 in a current in your favor, watch them kill it without the sabetour, you know its the 8, so you put down a 2, killing the remaining 2 strength while only losing 1 yourself. there is no luck here save in what is shown by the reveal tile, only logic, and even the reveal tile can be a powerful force for logic even if it only shows a 1 strength ship, practically the most unluckly reveal you can get.
Chyriax
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:50 pm

whats the difference between the dificulties? i know that in the easy ones the player tends to have 2 reveals more often, and in higher dificulties the AI tends to get 2 reveals more often, but aside from the probability of an extra reveal, whats the difference?
Chyriax
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Slightly more random behaviour of AI, but the reveals is the key thing.
SVC - NULLL games.
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:18 pm

another question. whats the result of a tie? played a game against bluewing, we both had 16 score at the end(i counted it several times). i played second, and it said i won. not sure what it said to bluewing though.
Chyriax
Bluewing

Postby Bluewing » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:24 pm

I counted an equal 16-16 tie as well but it said I lost. Oh well..... :p

Edit: Chyriax, i don't feel bad about losing. The little yellow circle was put there to say that. I guess it failed. :p
Last edited by Bluewing on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its not a feature, its a bug." -Rivi'i Tech Support
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 pm

thats what i counted too, like i said. now i know it said you lost, so im wondering if it counts who starts. if so, then the person who plays first should win in a tie, not the one playing second. the person who plays last gets the chance to calculate when everything is out there, and maybe throw the sabetour down to drastically change the outcome. thats an advantage if i ever saw one.
bluewing, i would call either a tie or you won that one counting the advantage i had of playing last, so don't feel bad about it saying you lost.
Chyriax
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Number of ships first : highest ship number wins. In case of equal number of ships, the highest ship strength wins, and if that doesn't work out, it's random.

(iirc)
SVC - NULLL games.
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:47 pm

ahh. now we know. lol, its been frustrating trying to figure it out, since it happened again. this time bluewing won, so the count evened out. its just the two of us in multi so far, and we seem to be about equal lol.
Chyriax
DEEP SPACE

Postby DEEP SPACE » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Bluewing wrote:I counted an equal 16-16 tie as well but it said I lost. Oh well..... :p

Edit: Chyriax, i don't feel bad about losing. The little yellow circle was put there to say that. I guess it failed. :p

It don't count member IDs?

If yes, the members with highest ID will win (Newest members win on a tie vs an oldest members).
:rl: DEEP SPACE :rl:
The Spectralis core.
Now in an Arcane Voidsplitter.
In other words: DEEP SPACE TO THE MAX POWER!

My image collection - My game profile
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:21 pm

lol, the current system makes sense, bluewing and i needed something that was a good indicator of who won with the several ties we had. albeit my sparring partner appears to be offline now. :'( anyone else want to play? im bored stiff fighting the AI in this game, and i feel like the more i play the AI the more i get into bad habits of knowing what to expect. i play the AI much, even on legendary, and i will get soft here.
Chyriax
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:36 pm

im gonna rock your world upside down!
My skype is helix.cipher if anyone decides they want to contact me or do a sci-fi RP or something.

Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:49 pm

riiiiight. lets see it. so far its 2/0 :p

edit: oops, now 3/0 :p
Chyriax
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:22 pm

hawk what happened. you chatted 3 nebula scouts and then left. i don't understand how it could have shown 3 of them.
Chyriax
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:14 pm

anyone wanna challenge me? I'm waiting with my new strategy ready.

Return to “Nebula Warriors”