Your nicknames for the cards!

Discuss everything related to HD3
DMsChoice

Your nicknames for the cards!

Postby DMsChoice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm curious - during my plays of HD I developed some nicknames for several of the cards, be it actions, structures or ships, depending as well on artwork as on function - or sometimes just as a wordplay on its name.
Do you have nicknames for some of the cards?

Here's a selection of mine:
Akata = "The Lunchbox" (or "The primary target")
Antisolar Plant = "Antisocial Plant"
Dark Obelisk = "The Filing Cabinet"
Exion'Exus = "The Cruise Liner"
Guardian = "The Clover Leaf"
Void Diver = "The Clothes Iron"
Shatterer = "Abomination Food"
Flak Turret = "R2-D2"
Nanobot Swarm = "F*** YOU!"
Scylior = "The Sword"
Siege Commandtower = "The Suicide Tower"
Abomination = "Pac Man"
Grasper Morph = "Casper Morph"
Shifting Cruiser = "The Dog Head"
Infinity Spark = "The Pretty Pretty Flower"
Demonic Rift = ...better I don't tell
(Art credits to: MyHysteria)
Greywing

Re: Your nicknames for the cards!

Postby Greywing » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 am

Haha 'lunchbox' :p

Early on (i believe it was for HD 1) i received a complaint from someone on Kongregate who felt that the Breaker looked like a dildo. They wanted me to change the image.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
DMsChoice

Postby DMsChoice » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 am

Greywing wrote:Early on (i believe it was for HD 1) i received a complaint from someone on Kongregate who felt that the Breaker looked like a dildo. They wanted me to change the image.

Would it fit into a Demonic Rift? :-X

Ahem...
But seriously, just to be sure: Just because I make fun of some of the designs doesn't mean that I don't like them. For example, some Ca'anian ships totally remind me of classical seafaring naval vessel - real ships, so to speak. I think it would be strange to see something like that drifting through interstellar space. It still looks pretty cool.
By the way, I'm wondering for a while now how you came up with the designs of the cards? Where did you get your inspiration?
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 pm

I've been drawing spaceships for a long time now - started with crappy comics that never took off, then did 3D modelling for a while before slowly getting into programming.
I try to give each race an identity - it didn't work out as well equally.

HU - classical no-frill big blocks of steel. So blocky shapes. Some inspiration from existing designs, f.i. Hiraga has a bit the shape of a Nimitz class carrier.
CA - the Neyon and Tanyu class are based on trireme ships (ancient boats propelled by oars, often outfitted with rams) with the upside dow pointed bow. When i started HD i didn't really have an idea for the regular CA ships, so i started off my Neyon/Tanyu ideas.
RV - i wanted these to have truly massive ships, as they are actually flying hives. Strange shapes, but that was harder to execute than expected.
TM - basically creatures that fused with their ships - i wanted to have some form of tech design, so that explains the occasional use of the textures that look like electronic circuits or the various 'wings' and sparkles/lightnings. As for shapes, since each ship is an individual being, i wanted each ship to be unique. Technically there are very few actual TMs - only the big ships are proper TM, the rest are remote controlled drones.

XY - probably the most interesting species regarding backstory, but i can't say too much as i rather reveal it in the upcoming novels (if they get ever finished).
CC - based on ants when it comes to their society and interactions. These are pretty simple in design, but the different social classes or roles i've tried to recreate. Small 4-legged hive maintainers, small and medium drones and soldiers, stronger soldiers, overseers, queens.
MT - nothing special here, just blobs that can take on any form and eat everything. Like the gelatinous cube from classic fantasy haha.
RD - space stuff that went wrong and became sentient. Probably the least impressive graphic wise since none of the original RD designs are 3D. Saved me a lot of time creating them, but there's been drawbacks when it comes to creating more complex scenes with these creatures involved.
SVC - NULLL games.
DMsChoice

Postby DMsChoice » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 am

Greywing wrote:HU - classical no-frill big blocks of steel. So blocky shapes. Some inspiration from existing designs, f.i. Hiraga has a bit the shape of a Nimitz class carrier.

Blocky? I think the humans have well the sleekest ships of them all. I would have bet that you had been inspired by recent military fighter jets and naval vessels.
CA - the Neyon and Tanyu class are based on trireme ships (ancient boats propelled by oars, often outfitted with rams) with the upside dow pointed bow. When i started HD i didn't really have an idea for the regular CA ships, so i started off my Neyon/Tanyu ideas.

Ah, so my impression wasn't that far from the truth :D
And it's rather the Ca'anian ships with which I would use the word "blocky" - which always appeared a bit odd to me since I learned that the Ca'anians are supposed to be cat people. Cat people I tend to imagine as sleek, graceful and agile - but their ships are bulky, blocky and heavily armored. That comes... unexpected.
RV - i wanted these to have truly massive ships, as they are actually flying hives. Strange shapes, but that was harder to execute than expected.

Like some of the Artifact ships, like Ancient Deceiver, Relic Engineer and Shifting Cruiser?
TM - basically creatures that fused with their ships - i wanted to have some form of tech design, so that explains the occasional use of the textures that look like electronic circuits or the various 'wings' and sparkles/lightnings. As for shapes, since each ship is an individual being, i wanted each ship to be unique. Technically there are very few actual TMs - only the big ships are proper TM, the rest are remote controlled drones.

So, I guess those with the recurring modules of central cylindrical "sensor phalanx" and curved "protrusions" are the individual ones.
I have a "head canon" saying that these elements somewhat emulate the shape of their organic origin ;)
XY - probably the most interesting species regarding backstory, but i can't say too much as i rather reveal it in the upcoming novels (if they get ever finished).

Well, design-wise the Xyloxi aren't particularly exciting. Basically only two commonly recurring elements, right?
Then, however, the Xyloxi remind very much of the skeletal elements of sea sponges! :D I worked a while with these so called "spicules". Fascinating microscopic structures.
CC - based on ants when it comes to their society and interactions. These are pretty simple in design, but the different social classes or roles i've tried to recreate. Small 4-legged hive maintainers, small and medium drones and soldiers, stronger soldiers, overseers, queens.

What I find particularly impressive about the Caes'cix is that you in fact managed to design a great variety of different well-discernible warrior types based on basically just a single shape, only by varying their claw-like protrusions.
By the way: How do Caes'cix fight, actually? Are they in general close-combat fighters, or do they have abilities like shooting jolts of fusion plasma or something?
MT - nothing special here, just blobs that can take on any form and eat everything. Like the gelatinous cube from classic fantasy haha.

Yeah, figured :D But some seem to go a logical path of "gallertoid evolution": the development of a specialized devouring maw and thus a defined lateralization - the evolution from blob to worm!
RD - space stuff that went wrong and became sentient. Probably the least impressive graphic wise since none of the original RD designs are 3D. Saved me a lot of time creating them, but there's been drawbacks when it comes to creating more complex scenes with these creatures involved.

Space elementals, basically. Definitely some recurring elements can be seen: the "vase-like" structure of the grav demons, the "flame loop" of the solars, the "purple symbol" of the chaoses - heh, that could also even already count as "nick names" :D

Still, I'm wondering about some of the artifact ships. There seem to be several different styles united - as if the ships were built by a whole lot of different races. I see the "bull-horns" of Alpha Cruiser and Alpha Fighter - but Alpha Destroyer and Alpha Battleship seem to be totally different. The Alpha Battleship seems to go rather with the Lost Carrier, for example.
Oh, and I conclude with another nick name:
Ancient Planetcracker = "The glue bottle"
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 pm

AR ships only really exist for the sake of the game, and while they gave me the idea of old ships like Arcane Voidsplitter which i might add to the story, i haven't really thought about how they fit in the background story. The ship images are mostly based on other cards. I didn't really go for a certain design philosophy other than for the sake of symmetry i tried to get some elements in these ships of the other races - in a lot of cases it's obvious where elements have been taken from.

In the story there's only one type of XY - the large ones with varying number of spires (or limbs). Sparks as such are more a kind of autonomous drone.

CC were originally bio-mechanical creatures who would otherwise have limited propulsion and no weapons without the mechanical bits. They're not an agressive species by default, so they never evolved weapons outside of some basic plasma beam from specialized wings on the worker class. These beams are then only used to mine asteroids where they get food and building materials for the hive from.
SVC - NULLL games.

Return to “Hidden Dimensions 3”