Thoughts, Praises, Complaints, and Suggestions

Discuss everything related to HD3
elenchus

Re: Thoughts, Praises, Complaints, and Suggestions

Postby elenchus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:50 am

Well, I certainly would like to; that seems quite fun to me! I don't know if it would be interesting to the playerbase at large, though, and it probably couldn't be done with vanilla cards alone. Well, a few probably could be, like the HD3 equivalent of "a deck full of nothing but HDX Echo Images", but I don't think there's enough vanilla-only genuinely hard stuff to kick off an entire mode. And I recall reading that the player-created custom stuff was a significant strain on HDX, so it might not be worth it.

Regarding the interestingness of current custom-versus-core... I suppose it depends on the kind of deck I'm using. I've often found that at sufficiently high difficulty levels, I stop looking at the custom cards entirely. "Alright, they just launched a 15/75 for five, I guess I should Spark it." At that point, it doesn't really matter if they give themselves a buff when they're unblocked or heal all ships for 90 or whatnot. But that's not really a fault with the idea of custom cards, it just extends from the nature of the situation. Playing against flagrantly OP cards just requires playing decks that work reasonably well no matter what your opponent's cards are, and only degenerate strategies can win no matter how strong the opponent is.

...Though, I recall not really considering playing a game that wasn't level 50 or 150, even though I found 50 too easy and 150 too hard. I guess I was just spoiled for choice? We don't really have an incentive to choose, say, level 115, so we don't. You could probably replace it with a system of easy/normal/hard (50/100/150) without significantly changing gameplay experience. Alternatively, you could set up something like the mercenaries system and make the next level unlock when you've beaten the previous one, so people can find out what level they can handle as they advance.
KascasMage

Postby KascasMage » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Even better then hd2 <3
Envirements seems overpowered, doing double attack turns and random hit 2. pick an energy flagship. and a deck with cheap to spam ships. easy gg everytime.
perhaps make envirement changes, less rewarding
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Greywing wrote:The AI is as good as it's going to get, perhaps minus some details here and there.

i felt a great disturbance in the force, as if five or six voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

that serious problem aside, we can try making decks for deck gallery, but those would still be standard-tactics decks - better variants of those that deck generator makes. any deck based on exotic tactics will be unusable for that purpose. AI is AI and that is a serious limitation. that is why i keep insisting that the feature should not include "pvp" in its name. a victory against my deck is in no sense victory against me. i did not play, and the deck is simply something that i thought that AI can use well. the gamemode should state very clearly that we are playing against submitted decks (practically deckstrings), not against other people.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Notes:

If you use Hammerhead to destroy Alpha Battleship, the log shows "Hammerhead destroys ." EDIT: The opponent's displayed deck size is not increased after the destruction.

In the log, Ancient Engineer's acti says it generates "5 energy" or "7 energy" instead of, I would assume, the fifth or seventh types of energy.
DMsChoice

Postby DMsChoice » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:22 pm

I'm wondering about something I noticed in Unpredictable mode: Somehow I can only play one structure on my turn, and I don't understand why. Energy costs are always met, Limited environment is not active... what else could it be? Is it a normal feature of this game mode? Doesn't make sense, either, I think, for the whole point of this mode is to play as many cards as you can before you have to discard them.
So, is it maybe a bug!?
(Art credits to: MyHysteria)
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:54 pm

It's intended, and part of this game mode.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Wed May 04, 2016 12:21 am

EDIT: double-post
Last edited by elenchus on Wed May 04, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Wed May 04, 2016 1:30 am

My most recent Mercenary battle doesn't end after the mercenary is defeated. I suspect it's because I defeated the boss with Shatterers while they had a "When an opposing ship is destroyed, owner's base HP is increased by 4" boost up. Here is the log:

avegame : saved
PAUSE : CALLED - GST = 52
RESUME : CALLED - GST = 52
selected boss (809 : Xarygan) is not present and will be replaced with a custom version
Dstr proc error : 0 = deck contains cards player doesn't have
Generating merc boss : Xarygan - seed = 57319
CombatIni - battle settings : default = true -- gamemode = 2

LOG 2 : Xarygan has arrived on the field.
LOG 3 :
LOG 4 : elenchus's turn.
LOG 5 : elenchus draws a card.
LOG 6 : elenchus launches Flagship.
LOG 7 : elenchus deploys Fusion Furnace.
LOG 8 : elenchus deploys Science Lab.
LOG 9 :
LOG 10 : STARTING ROUND 2
LOG 11 :
LOG 12 : Xarygan's turn.
LOG 13 :
LOG 14 : elenchus's turn.
LOG 15 : elenchus draws a card.
LOG 16 : Science Lab generates 1 energy.
LOG 17 : Flagship generates 1 energy.
LOG 18 : elenchus launches Soldier Drone.
LOG 19 : elenchus launches Soldier Drone.
LOG 20 :
LOG 21 : STARTING ROUND 3
LOG 22 :
LOG 23 : Xarygan's turn.
LOG 24 : Xarygan draws a card.
LOG 25 : Xarygan plays Prismatic Crystal, receives 2 energy and drains energy from their opponent.
LOG 26 : Xarygan deals 2 damage to elenchus' base.
LOG 27 :
LOG 28 : elenchus's turn.
LOG 29 : elenchus draws a card.
LOG 30 : Science Lab generates 1 energy.
LOG 31 : Flagship generates 1 energy.
LOG 32 : elenchus deploys Dark Fusor.
LOG 33 : elenchus launches Shatterer.
LOG 34 : elenchus launches Shatterer.
LOG 35 : elenchus launches Ghost Ship.
LOG 36 :
LOG 37 : STARTING ROUND 4
LOG 38 :
LOG 39 : Xarygan's turn.
LOG 40 : Xarygan draws a card.
LOG 41 : Xarygan deploys Rocket Battery.
LOG 42 :
LOG 43 : elenchus's turn.
LOG 44 : elenchus draws a card.
LOG 45 : elenchus deploys Decay Fusor.
LOG 46 : Science Lab generates 1 energy.
LOG 47 : Flagship generates 1 energy.
LOG 48 : Xarygan has been defeated.
PAUSE : CALLED - GST = 92
GAME OVER : WINNER = TEAM 0 (plr 0)

The game does end properly when the base's 8 remaining HP is depleted.

A graphical error: Pressing the Nebular Rift acti in this situation causes the Fusion Energy symbol to flash instead of the Nebular energy symbol. This occurs whether or not the Science Lab acti is pressed beforehand.

Similarly, Rift Echogate's acti displays the Random Energy symbol.

Also, I think the description of the Blueprint mode could use a revamp; saying that cards have the Blueprint 9 and Protected passives don't really tell the player reading the description much. A description to the effect of "The AI starts with eight cards it can play from hand up to nine times each" or something like that would better convey the nature of the Blueprint mode.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Wed May 04, 2016 8:40 am

Coincidentally i had a similar occurance earlier this week. A boost (or environment) added base HP the moment a player reached zero HP.

If the energy generation ability doesn't specific a single race, it will always show the random energy symbol, thus Rift Echogate is ok in that regard.

I will check the nebular rift though. Found a bug there and will be fixed in next patch.
SVC - NULLL games.
DMsChoice

Postby DMsChoice » Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 am

I noticed that custom relic decks might be a bit ...imbalanced.
Mainly due to Prismatic and Greater Prismatic Demons, which have no actual energy cost, but have their essential cost in their CIP-ability.
Since this one is very likely changed on a custom card, you suddenly have extremely powerful ships :rd: FOR FREE!!! :rd:
Would it be possible to set Prismatic and Greater Primastic Demons' energy cost to 8 :rl: resp. 16 :rl: (maybe even 10 :rl: and 20 :rl: )
in custom decks only without changing those in core decks?
I mean, not that I have anything against an easy match, but that was almost too easy! :D
(And more importantly, actually, I don't want to have that against me. ;) )
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat May 07, 2016 9:35 am

So, the custom generator is creating cards based on the prismatic demons, but they keep their original zero cost?

Right, i see how this is a problem. The custom generator has a balacing step where it looks at abilities to see if things need to be nerfed or adjusted, but it doesn't look at cards with too low a cost. Might have to give these cards a flat cost like you suggest.
SVC - NULLL games.
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Wed May 11, 2016 1:21 pm

bug: ai uses technocrat's acti on a freshly launched cloaked allied ship. the ship type is revealed to me in the log message.

boost issue: i'm going through screenshots on my tablet and i'm looking at a boost that says "when owner launches a MT or CA carrier class ship: -that ship's owner gains 1 :xy:; can trigger 25 times". that's wrong on so many levels, but the worst thing is - it wasn't a random reward - it was offered by the trader. can the trader be changed so it doesn't offer garbage boosts? if i get this randomly, fine, i'll sell it for b-tokens, but as trader's offer, it only delays potentially useful boost for 9 wins.

trader issue: on the same screenshot, a merc (i don't want it) costs 172 b-tokens plus 26 m-tokens. that makes no sense - it should cost 52 m-tokens (at least you see what you're getting) and 10 (or less) b-tokens. because it's a merc, not a boost. if its cost isn't dominantly (or only) m-tokens, then the two token kinds should definitely be unified into "credits" or whatever.

bug: pantheon supposedly repairs base for 1hp per relic ship - i have only one (relic fighter) and pantheon repairs 2hp per turn.

bug/balance issue: mercs based on swarm leader are grossly overpowered.

grinding/general issue: when we unlock a new merc, how about a dialog message with an option to skip that merc or send it to the bottom of the list? i grinded 60 levels to unlock the next CC merc (i can see the progress on profile screen), went to the picker control only to see that i have unlocked a nebula grazer. no one on the bus heard it, but i was silently screaming inside myself for 5 long seconds.

bug: merc level achievement award offered without me attaining the said level. happens when i get some other achievement.

bug: player level achievement not shown when won.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Wed May 11, 2016 6:58 pm

I'll look into the boosts for trader - if it doesn't have this already, it might do with a system that picks the best of X generated boosts, instead of just generating one boost.

The tokens for mercs/boosts were set up like that on purpose - the idea was that people could turn spare tokens of one kind into items of the other type. Though easy to change if players don't care about this setup.
SVC - NULLL games.
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Sun May 15, 2016 3:24 am

i had a crash (not the first time) after clicking play on the events screen. there is no error log and the last thing main event log says is "game : saved". i think i have logs on. can you see about putting some catch blocks there or some extra logging?

also (i can't remember if i complained about this before, but if i did, no harm in repeating), i just got a boost (worthless, 5 tokens) as a random reward, but the screen said that i got a card (it said card) and showed a card image. please make it unmistakeably visible whether the reward is a card or some temporary thingy. maybe some shape mask.

and you may want to review card class names for CC. are the drones fighters or soldiers/warriors?
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sun May 15, 2016 8:04 am

I'll add some extra error catching for events + event screen. Does it happen every time for a specific event?

Making boosts look different from cards is on the todo list already. A mask is an option if there's a single card to be shown like on the combat screen, but will slow down things considerably on the boost screen.

Ship vs creature subtypes :
fighter - cruiser - destroyer - battleship - carrier - titan - support - industrial - science ship
fighter - soldier - warrior - commander - carrier - titan - support - industrial - scientist
On average a drone will be a fighter or a soldier. CC doesn't have any really big ships, so the classes there are moved up a bit to fill that void. I don't have too many cards that target classes yet, but it was done with that in mind so that all races have a mix of all the shipclasses (which also matters for deck generation).
SVC - NULLL games.
DMsChoice

Postby DMsChoice » Tue May 31, 2016 9:09 am

Just a thought: I very often wish to surpass the limit of 60 cards in my self-made decks. Wouldn't it be a nice idea to increase the card limit with increasing player levels, since one also continues to gain more and better cards?
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Is it intended for Grav Tide Generator to not mitigate the downside of Ambush?

LOG : elenchus's turn.
LOG : elenchus draws a card.
LOG : elenchus plays Ambush and destroys Firewing.
LOG : Battlecruiser gains 2 attack and 4 defense.
LOG : Grav Tide Generator enables Battlecruiser to attack.
LOG : elenchus has no combat phase.
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:32 pm

it is hardly intended for a card to have a completely useless ability. likely an oversight.

it executes at the start of your turn and there are no abilities in game that take away your combat phases (it is a good thing there aren't any).
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Ships can only attack within a combat phase, if you have no combat phases (as a result of ambush), the number of attacks your ships have doesn't matter.
And like dark1n said, the auto ability of Grav Tide Generator would have triggered before you played ambush. Had it been an aura (always active), you would have had a combat phase.
You can play ambush and follow up with emergency fuel to get your combat phase back.
SVC - NULLL games.
xElite

Postby xElite » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 pm

I played HD Xyth (and earlier ones too) a while back, only recently tried out HD 3 so here are my thoughts.

I'm finding the interface more cumbersome on PC than in previous versions. I've started using the ctrl button for toggling card quickplay but still it's more awkward than it used to be. This interface change seems set in stone but I'm just making the point.

I like the change that engineers automatically generate energy at the start of your turn, and you have to preload changes in energy type the turn before. Yeah it makes engineers slightly less flexible, but I like the convenience of it (I mostly play single colour decks anyway).

I'm liking the new flagship system. Earlier in the topic people were throwing out some completely broken Flagships, but now I think the system succeeds in being flexible and very powerful without being too gamebreaking. I haven't really experimented with the system that much but because the ship is always available to play I'm mostly using it to get nice tanky support ships out early, that then stick around for the whole fight. So for :hu: I'm using Firewing chassis, with Retaliation passive, gain 1 energy CIP ability, Heal self auto-ability, Disable target ship acti, Base gains HP when a ship is played boost aura. Low cost means I can get it out early then play all my other ships to make the most of that boost aura, self heals give it good survivability especially when supported HU's other heals so I basically have a 6/22 statted disabler in my pocket the whole fight in case the opponent deploys anything particularly nasty. For :rv: I'm doing something similar except because there's a different pool to pick from I have a Shield Frigate chassis with resist 1, Heal all ships auto ability, Enable target ship to attack acti ability (using the same boost and CIP ability as my HU flagship). Having that ability in your pocket all fight is really nice in general because you can make your heaviest ships attack on the turn they're deployed, but it's particularly nice for RV given all their "disable ship to gain buffs" abilities. I don't really like the 'racial bonus' part of the flagship though, seems like it's really easy for that to end up being useless and switching your flagship chassis for every new opponent would be a huge pain to do.

The boost system and mercs system I'm less fond of. Seems like you get a lot of really damn useless boosts and mercs, and if you do somehow get a good one then you lock it up in deep storage for when you really need it and end up never using it. Maybe it changes at some point but so far it seems easier just to win without boosts and mercs than it is to use them and have to continually reacquire them. I mean I'm currently at 103 merc wins and I have yet to unlock a merc boss for a ship type I really want, when I do I'll have to fight them 30 or something times to get the droprate of them up, then I'll have to hope they get a good random upgrade (or pay to reroll), and I'll have to go and drop them again every time I use them. Having to do a challenging fight to get something is fine, but having to grind through hundreds of easy fights to unlock the hard fight can get tedious. Merc fights are good for xp and tokens though.

That said I'm not really sure why this game has a levelling system. I'm fine with it directing people towards Explore mode in the early game because that's a nice introduction to the different races and it gives people a nice way to expand their decks, but after that it seems a really arbitrary and inelegant way of gating things. You can collect boosts and mercs, before you unlock the menus to use them which makes things more confusing than they need to be. You can get a lot of tokens before you unlock the trader to spend them. And then after say level 20 does the levelling system even do anything? (Apart from some achievements). Oh actually it seems it gives you more points to spend stocking boosts, but I'm not using them so meh. Also the cards from explore mode kinda make uncommons and elites easier to get than commons (maybe this changes later).

Also the balance seems off for some of the new cards in tactical mode. I've only experimented with a couple of the cards but so far I've noticed a couple of problems.

1) Starshield Morph makes the Pulsar card redundant.

Pulsar is 6 :hu: + 1 :rl: cost for a 6/28 ship with 2 res.
Starshield Morph is 6 :hu: cost for a 6/32 ship with 2 res. With a CIP ability of +2 def for each allied MT ship in play. And an auto ability that repairs a random allied ship for 2 hp. It also counts itself for it's CIP ability so really it's a 6/34 ship at worst.

Even in a pure :hu: deck the Starshield Morph is strictly superior. (The only scenarios where it might come out worse is against ships with a bonus vs :mt: or maybe if you had a boost that applied to Destroyers but not Soldiers)

2) Demonic Spark seems overcosted or its ability seems underpowered.

3/18 ship for 3 :xy: cost. CIP ability of turning all your :xy: energy into :rd:. Auto ability of blocker's defence is lowered by one.

Most of the time ships with abilities that lower their blocker's defence are good against ships with repair or retaliation abilities, but the base stats on this ship are so low that it's going to lose to those ships anyway, so I'm really not seeing matchups where this ship wins. Against tanky ships it loses. Against glass cannon ships it loses. Against repair ships it loses. Against retaliation ships it loses.

It would work against Sparks and Scanner Ghosts, but usually they're thrown against something powerful and not randomly put out into the open field. And even so Demonic Spark is 3x the cost of those so it's hardly a great counter.

CA has some similar ships, that are a lot more powerful.

Warfare Thogrom is 5/15 for 3 :ca:. With the auto ability of lowering a blocker's attack by 1 instead of their defence.
Dark Sentinel is 0/40 for 4 :ca:. With the auto ability of lowering a blocker's defence by 3, and an acti ability to deal 2 damage and repair itself 2 for 1 :ca:. The 0 attack is actually nice here since it means you can safely park it in front of a mirror shield or an antiscreen and it won't trigger retaliation.

Maybe I'm missing something but I really can't see much utility for this ship. Also the CIP is arguably more of a limitation than an advantage.

Return to “Hidden Dimensions 3”