Thoughts, Praises, Complaints, and Suggestions

Discuss everything related to HD3
Greywing

Re: Thoughts, Praises, Complaints, and Suggestions

Postby Greywing » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. These new cards (or existing ones) are likely going to see some balancing in the future.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
space-mariner51

Postby space-mariner51 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:10 am

With Demonic Spark, I don't see any reason to use that over Opaline.
xElite

Postby xElite » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Encountered a funny bug. Was doing a Hidden Dimension where the opponent had a Greater Prismatic Demon as a starter ship, they played it and it immediately exploded because they didn't have enough energy to support it. Made that fight easier lol. Also seen a Shatterer starter ship which also died before it did anything.

Anyway I ended up outlevelling my Hidden Dimension level by a wide margin whilst playing mercenaries mode, so now Hidden Dimension fights only give me literally 6 xp. (I'm level 70 and this was with a level 55 hidden dimension, the highest level I was allowed to attempt). I've mainly been spending my DA points on base repair and base resist, just grabbing a couple of other things when they were cheap. Base repair + base resist combo very well with each other and they give you some nice options - with a couple of levels of base resist you can afford to leave light things unblocked more (especially things with "if this hits the base then X" auto abilities e.g. 1 level of base resist makes Lesser Techno Demons useless) or you can ignore unblockable ships, with a couple of levels of base repair you can constantly spam "base loses HP" abilities and gain the HP back next turn. Base retaliation is also good, especially against ships with "deal damage to your opponent" auto abilities and when you have resist. You can basically just sit back and let weak ships kill themselves to no effect. However some of the other bonuses seem pretty minor.

Extra attack and extra defence are nice but they're kinda small when distributed over your whole deck.
Extra shields only really matter if they appear on a strong ship. And the AI isn't very smart at using it's actis anyway.
Reduced card cost is really good if it appears on a relatively cheap card that you draw within say the first 3 rounds of combat, but if you draw it late after your economy is rolling it doesn't make much of a difference most of the time. And if it appears on an expensive card then 9 cost instead of 10 usually isn't enough to play it early.
Random energy is usually going to appear in colours you can't use much (unless you're running AR) but it can still be useful for playing cards with partial AR costs, I just don't think it's gonna make too much difference a lot of the time (you could use it to splash in a Relic Fighter though, which might be nice for races without good cheap blockers). Also opponent starter ships can take this starter energy away with their CIP abilities before you get a turn.
Base mitigation seems mostly useless to me, it'll help you lose more slowly but it won't help you win. If your opponent got a 40 attack super ship out then mitigation would keep you alive a couple of turns but if stuff like that is happening then you're probably losing anyway. Maybe it pays off if you stack it enough, but I think the point cost would get exorbitantly expensive before that happens.

Also when you complete a hidden dimension you get an elite card pick for a random race, but it doesn't seem to tell you what race you got it for.

Event mode seems nice but blueprint fights are kind of annoying. So far my opponents have been
- RD deck with Black Channeler spam so I missed many many combat phases + Solar Demons with direct damage to my base CIP ability (5 damage x 9 copies).
- CC deck with Duel and Lifelink spam so they nuked my heaviest ships all the time and kept repairing 30 base hp from lifelinking newly spawned Breaker Drones. This went pretty smoothly I suppose, it just took forever.
- MT deck with Energy Leeches to force me to play a lot of ships (generate energy if unblocked and drain energy if they hit base) + Infect spam to reduce my ships attack to 0 + Hungering Morphs with their direct damage to my base auto.

I imagine siege / base damage decks work okay against Blueprint opponents but board control decks have an awful time. Decks with 9x Black Channelers or 9x Infects just aren't very fun to play against basically.

I've got a good merc now, specifically the Vulture merc. 4/24 instead of 2/20 and he gets 2 repair auto ability which dramatically increases his survivability. I've got phoenix and armoured variants of him now which make him extremely beefy for his energy cost. A tanky disabler is a ship that can change a fight.. but unfortunately it's a niche already occupied by my flagship so I haven't bothered using him. The one use setup for mercs really discourages me from playing about with them basically.

The Hiraga merc looks really good too. I think it's 14/41, retal 5, 4 damage acti. I played against a "the powerful" variant which had overpower (might also give +1 attack which would mean he's actually 13/41 base), but it would be really good if you got a phoenix/unwavering/armoured version.

Other nice mercs I've seen used against me

Charador the Besieger (Greater Dark Demon) - Siege 8 combined with draining 2 energy whenever it damages the base.
Mijixa the Phoenix (Echo Image) 4/32 for 3 cost, Restore 1 + Recover (rnd) + Creates a clone of itself when played.

The race switched mercs are also pretty interesting. The first thing I thought of is getting a spark into different race decks, but you kinda need a couple of sparks to really rely on them so I'm not sure a single card of it would work great. Thogrom Bombers and Rift Batteries are other things that could be nice, but kinda difficult to put into practice though.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:02 am

Greater Prismatic Demon / Shatterer shouldn't be starting cards - that's indeed a bug.

The thing with event mode is that every battle receives a fixed seed for the random generator that creates the opponent. In case of blueprint this means that all cards in the opponent's deck will be the same for a given opponent, so players can attempt to figure out and create the ideal counter deck.
As with all event modes, the difficulty can vary greatly.
SVC - NULLL games.
DMsChoice

Postby DMsChoice » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:59 pm

A little thing that bothers me:
When I pick rewards from Exploration mode, my choice is not saved unless I play another battle right away, as it seems.
In any case, if I pick my rewards, leave the reward screen and quit the game, I have to pick my rewards anew.
Can there be an autamatic save inserted when you leave the rewards screen?
(Art credits to: MyHysteria)
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:06 pm

I tought that was the case, but could be that it only saves when you exit the screen completely. I'll have a look at it.
SVC - NULLL games.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:54 am

Alright, I finally got the chance to sit down and grind out at least one copy of each of the new cards. Here are my impressions:

Engineers: Eh, I don't think anyone really uses engineers. In retrospect, this may have been a bad choice of eight-card cycle to start off with; they're pretty bland and won't have much impact, and it would be better to provide something interesting to start off the new-cards event.

Structures: I'm always happy with more dual-energy structures! That said, did CC/MT really need to be even more consistent? It already has two dual-color structures and a three-color structure, plus an inordinate number of dual-color ships.

Infiltrators: Several of them are quite interesting. Unlike the Engineer cycle, they don't just lean hard on the cycle's gimmick and are quite interesting cards in their own right; Drone Traitor makes XY/* rush interesting, Thunder Thogrom can definitely see play given that CA already runs Dark Rift, and so forth. Some of them like Technofusion Spy are pretty bland and don't do anything the decks that would use them can't already do, but overall I'd still call this cycle a success. That said, I agree with prior comments that thematically these feel more like diplomats than spies.

Single-Cost: Hmm. A lot of these are definitely strong and will see use, but several of them are just straight reskins. Starshield Morph is Pulsar and Techno Mage is Techno Exarch. (Incidentally, Techno Mage is strictly better than Techno Exarch; you might want to boost its cost like you did for Starshield Morph.) That said, several of them do provide interesting new tools. Most notably, big CC definitely appreciates having a high-regenerating ship to stall and Infested Guardian makes resist stall much more consistent.

Actions: Almost all hot trash. I could see Crystal Funnel being used in gimmicky decks that would have run old Crystal Shield? I don't know what those decks are, mind, but I have little doubt they exist. Weaponsystems Hack could also be used in resist stall to stop ships that buff themselves every turn, which was that deck's strongest counter in HDX. Besides that, none of these will be used outside of Blueprint missions they hard counter. A very big chunk of them are really situational; you play Mass Resistance when both players have flooded the board with low-attack ships; you play Fusion Burst when you want to play multiple buffs on the same ship, since otherwise a second copy of your buff card or buff-per-turn structure would do more than Fusion Burst would. These situations are all really hard to set up, and once you've set them up they still don't do that much. The most egregious example is Symbiont Clone; there's no situation where you'd prefer to draw it over just drawing another copy of your super-powerful card unless you've hit deckout. Several of them could be interesting as artifact actions, but for the most part boosting all the numbers on most of them and making them at least single-color actions would really be necessary for them to see play. (Incidentally, you may want to take a look at Chaotic Repurpose's wording. "1 defense and 1 defense" is probably not what you wanted to say, and you could rephrase the last bit to be consistent with Recall: "gain attack and defense equal to the target's total cost".)

Final Cycle: I feel like you were a bit too conservative with the rewards for playing dual-color here; the ships that give bonuses for having other ships of X race require you to have too many other ships to be really strong, I feel. buffing Star Drone to +20% AMC per CC ship would be a real reward for playing a dual deck in a way that +10% isn't, since +20% means it has a real effect on its own acti if you have just two other ships. Similarly, Fusion Frigate and Gravion'Exius currently don't really feel like they reward you for building a dual deck for them, and Antimatter Demon and Elemental Seeker are glorified engineers. Chaos Barrier's the biggest success out of this cycle; it definitely does something new and cool and encourages weird splashes, which is always a good thing.
Japheth

Postby Japheth » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:25 pm

Here is a quick suggestion:

Would it be possible to add full-screen support for HD3, unless its already in and I have not noticed it?
This might be something only I like, but some others may enjoy it as well (if its not a lot of work to add it).

Oh, and a praise, I really like the combo of Battlecruiser's active ability and Grav Tide Generator. Its great fun to have cards that work really well together, especially old and new working in unison.
May the force be with you.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:32 pm

There is fullscreen - just check the options screen and click the left arrow for the 'game resolution' setting until it says 'full screen'.

The game is locked to a 16:10 ration however, so if your monitor is another resolution, you'll see black bars below and above or left and right of the game area.
SVC - NULLL games.
Japheth

Postby Japheth » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:36 pm

Awesome, thanks.
May the force be with you.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
SpencerWS

Postby SpencerWS » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:15 pm

Are you still taking this feedback? I've started playing this game a week ago, and I must say it is much better than I ever expected it to be. Really great. I like your card art, I like the kind of challenges you can do in the game, and I LOVE the distinct approach that different races bring to the game. I've only tried the flagships of 3 races, but I'm pleased with the unique abilities that you allotted to different races.

Also, I know some people don't like the engineers, but I like them. My deck uses less towers and two races, so I like to get a fairly thick monster that can generate the energy of my choice. Mith'ri'aeil engineer's scramble energy effect is also vicious at times.

As a token of my gratitude, I've made a chart of every card that generates energy in more types than its own race, so show the amount of available energy traffic between any two races. I will attach it if someone wants it and if it is appropriate to the thread.

Out of my confined experience, I can offer a few suggestions:

1.I'm very happy with the ctrl-toggle button you added so I don't have to keep the ctrl button held down for entire games. I would appreciate that staying toggled so I dont have to press it each game. Perhaps adding the option in the settings file would be best.

2. I don't think beating a mercenary should count for many achievements, such as "use a X deck" or "beat an X deck" or "win X duels." Farming mercs would give you all these achievements in just a few hours.

3. Currently my Mith'ri'aeil flagship has Hydra (and multistrike as another option) with no AMC drawback. It's initial attack was 50% reduced, but I can power it up just fine. It's way too powerful as a result, so I think you should ensure that flagships don't have that kind of advantage. Also, I think you should consider tweaking some abilities so that one or two of them aren't clearly better options than the others. Why "heal yourself 2" when you can use "choose heal ally 2"? Also, give less uses to the "disable ship on X card play" ability. (However, I find that the ability has about 50% chance of working when it triggers, and I don't know why... so maybe it's balanced.)

4. I loooove the option of combining races. It makes things so much more interesting. For that reason I'm rocking a Mith/Rivi deck for fast damage and monster sacrificing. However, I would prefer the achievements "use a mainly X deck" would not require one race to be over half of a deck (21/40 cards) to count. I think it's fairer to have it be around 14-16 cards so that both races can earn the achievement at once, as a more rewarding use of a double-race deck.

5. I think you should redistribute the exploration rewards (and make them visible without having to win them). It doesn't make much sense to me that a campaign would reward only 6 uncommons and 11 elites. This makes Uncommons truly more rare and wanted than elites. I'm kicking myself for getting two uncommons that turned out not to work so well, and I don't think I need to suffer that much.

6. I really appreciate the variety of cards in this game. However, there are many cases in which an common/uncommon card is on most accounts better than similar elite cards:

a. The multi-race elite monsters are often worse than similar uncommon mono-race monsters for the simple reason they cost more or that they require two types of energy. An example is Assualter (cost 4 Mith, 2 Rivi energy) vs. Siege cruiser (4 Rivi). I cannot imagine spending 6 energy between two races on a bruiser-like ship when I could use a Siege cruiser or Battlecruiser instead (perhaps Siege Cruiser is op, but Assaulter's cost is still high b/c it's double race). I think that double race cards should be a bit cheaper or a little better to compensate for the fact that they require energy of two races and to reward race-fusing decks.

b. Technomage is a cheaper and better version of Techno Exarch.

c. Pleeeeeaaaasssee raise the cost of Fusion Burst and perhaps make it more dedicated to Caes'cix energy. This card will make rainbow decks crazy good, particularly with Excession. (I'm only guessing that this card can modify existing AMC handicaps. I'm not sure.)

d. Aladayr's Pheonix is hopelessly good. Either it's acti or passive ability must go! On that subject, all the human battleships are pretty darn good compared to others.

e. Grav Morphing is super good, especially b/c it can double as an attack boost alone without sacrificing neighbors. I love the strategic potential of this card (for instance, raise the hp of devourers) and its cost is perfect, but i think it should require that a neighbor be sacrificed or perhaps have a lower attack boost.

f. Except for initial cost, Siege monolith is way inferior to Siege laser. It uses far too much energy and I don't see why it is even needed as a Rivi card.

g. The Rivi battleship and titan abilities are useless against opponents because they are at NO loss for structures. I think that opponents should have a few less structures handy so structure destroying decks have a chance. It would also make opponents a tad bit stronger in the long game, because at present they have far more energy than monsters. I think this is a major imbalance that deserves attention.

h. Any way you might consider bringing Hammerhead's cost down by at least 1? It dies so fast; a ship sacrifice is not that great for 8 energy.

i. Most "deal 2 damage to chosen ship" abilities seem a bit weak for the cost. I know that it can save an attack and it adds mobility to combat, but isn't 2 dmg for 1 energy a bit too "pew-pew"? Perhaps 3 dmg for 1 energy or 4-5 dmg for 2 energy would be better.

That's it for now. Thanks so much for your great game. I do like the idea of certain races having a few "oh wow" cards so that races can better work together, but some races seem to have more of those. I'll continue this if you are interested.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:39 am

Huh. That reminds me, I'd been meaning to bring this up for a while.

Flagship system comments:

There's no real reason at present to make a dual-color flagship. It would be nice for dual-color flagships to get access to the abilities of both races or at least to incorporate both races into its combat boosts.

It feels weird that the small flagships get access to abilities that big flagships don't, but not vice versa. It feels more thematic for both small ships and big ships to be good at their own things. So for example, you could give big ships access to the energy-generation abilities that were such a problem in the second iteration of the flagship system. You could also let big flagships get exclusive access to stuff like overpower or more beefy effects; no big ship wants to delay itself to get 1 more defense, for example, so giving big ships access to more expensive but splashier activated abilities would be nice.

---------

Regarding Spencer's comments:

Yeah, Phoenix is a strong candidate for the best legend of the game; it can break open boards so easily. It'd be really strong even without the Restore. (Though Restore is relevant thematically.) Comparing it to Chyriax is just... embarrassing.

You run Archaeon to knock out support structures, not just energy structures. There's a good number of structures that just wreck you if you can't stop them. I'm looking at you, Siege Commandtower. Shipyards are also big problems.

Agreed that several dual-race cards could receive a buff. Some of the dual-race ships are meaningfully better than monocolored ships, like Guardian Akata, but a lot of them just don't see use.

Agreed that making elites more widely available than uncommons is a bit silly. Maybe you could shift the rewards down so that the first wave of Explores gives commons (uncommon on boss), the second gives uncommons (elite on boss), and the unlocked Explore mode gives elites?

Disagree on Hammerhead. It might not see play in top-end RV, but it's still a ship big enough to take care of chump blockers that also wrecks the opponent if they put something against it that isn't a chump blocker. It's a solid card as-is.

Auto-ctrl from start would be a nice option to have, though not really a big deal; if we're on user interface tweaks, an easier way to name decks would be higher on my list, personally.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Some quick notes :
3 - Flagships should definately have AMC, i'll look into that. If you can't disable a ship perhaps it has shield - that would block an effect such as disable.
5 - Uncommons drop more often as regular rewards compared to elites, and you can still get them fairly cheap (compared to elites) from the trader.

There should be a new update out later today, but usually a set of new cards is followed by a balance update at a later date, so i'll keep your suggestions in mind for when that happens.
SVC - NULLL games.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Thing is, while uncommons drop more than elites, the need for specific uncommons is a lot, lot higher than the need for specific elites because the dual-race structures are uncommon.

By the way, thanks for the new update!
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:08 pm

I might have a look at altering the droprate in general, rather than changing the reward system for exploration, so that uncommons drop slightly more often at the cost of fewer commons.
SVC - NULLL games.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Thoughts on the first third of the new cards:

Delta Clones is cool. I'm not sure whether it'd see play, since getting the two energy on the first turn might be awkward, but I'd guess so; it triggers energy-generation combat boosts twice, so it's effectively free. At worst you use it as a splash, devoting your base energy to the off-color energy.

Antimatter Shifter... I'm not sure what to think. I feel like it's just worse than Alpha Cruiser. If your opponent has a big ship, you can use this to block it and it'll stay there for three turns instead of Alpha Cruiser's two, but for seven energy you could just Antimatter Bomb the big ship away entirely. I could see it maybe being used in a gimmicky pile-buffs-onto-one-ship deck?

Crystal Architect seems good for sustaining a long game on paper, but it feels a bit weak on board; I feel like healing for 3 would be a more fitting amount for an acti that costs energy. This does give XY and RD access to targeted healing that doesn't hurt in the long run, which is nice, but 2 is just too small an amount; I wouldn't run this over Nebula Spire, but for really stallish decks I could see myself running a few of these in addition to Nebula Spires.

Crystal Collector looks really cute. What sort of competitive cards does this activate? On the XY side, Thunder Shard, Terror Mage, and Crystalline Void; on the CC side, Interceptor, Oppressor, and Sabotage. So, basically, a lot of good cards that are important to a stall deck in either color, and its acti is also the sort of thing you'd like to have in a stall deck, so this looks really nice; this card could singlehandedly make XY/CC stall a thing. That said, both races have plenty of ways to knock off shields already with targeted healing effects.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Second third:

Does Techno Fortress work with Spectralis Core? ...It does! HDS Technowall/Core spam is back! *cashes in Explore points for Greater Prismatic Demons and Data Cubes*

I have no idea how to rate Burning Morph. My gut feeling is that I'd rather just run Bombardment, though.

Shifting Thogrom is really bad; there's a pretty hefty acti cost to make it unblockable, especially when you could instead run Fusion Demon for the same amount of energy up front and no upkeep cost to deal the same amount of unblockable damage. Neither CC nor TM have the really strong attack buffs that would make their unblockable ships need to be overcosted.

Elemental Destroyer... Geez, between Infinity Spark and this, you really like RD, don't you? Kills chump blockers, kills spawns, kills Sparks, kills support ships, and then leaves behind an 8/24. It's just such a spectacularly good card.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:30 am

Final third:

Ancient Deceiver is a pretty cute idea. It definitely fits the "overstatted ship with downside" design better than Replicator Ghost did. It doesn't really feel like a deceiver flavor-wise, though.

I'm not sure how to feel about Mirror Energy. I could see a place for it in Entropic Link rush, maybe? It feels like the kind of card that would be really strong in a deck that can't be made yet.

Spectral Resistance and Spectral Strength are the worst parts of Mass Resistance combined with the worst parts of Shifting Cruiser, and neither of those cards saw any play in the first place. Something that might be stronger while still fitting thematically would be giving resistance/strength against ships whose costs include AR, maybe?
MasN

Postby MasN » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:31 am

So it has been a long time since I played this game. I've been playing this game for about 5 hours today, making it to level 13. Some thoughts.

Well, looks like I no longer have a playset of every card. I miss jamming 4 excessions into every deck. The campaign allows me to hunt for specific uncommons and rares, but if I want a useful common (Nebular Crystal, im my case) it seems I'm out of luck.

Flagships have changed a lot since last time. On the minus side, I can no longer do broken things with them. On the plus side, I can no longer do broken things with them.

I miss the customization we used to have on the flagships though. Being able to choose whether you want to be able to pay 3 mana to give a ship +1/+3 or 6 mana to give it +4/+2 was a pretty fun part of the game IMO. Also, I really dislike how my flagship can do 2 extra damage against MT or resist 1 damage against CA. It feels so much cleaner to just have a set amount of attack or resistance IMO.

I've noticed hydra and multistrike ships all have this boost % value. Although it means that its harder to do broken things, chainguns + a cerberus ship was neat but not OP synergy IMO. (Unless you set your flagship to be hydra multistrike 3) Also, this % thing causes math. (Compare hearthstone, which lets you blessing of might a minion with windfury without penalty.

I see some effort has been put into balancing difficulty/reward, but it is still exploitable. I've been able to easily beat level 150 AI with beginner cards when I have the environment set to multistrike 2 and additional combat phase. These envirormental modifiers don't affect the drop chance AFAIK. The 5/7 fast 0 cost CC ship is especially strong for this strategy.

Finally, balance. Some cards are more powerful than others, and I suppose this intended. However, there are instances of strictly worse cards. For instance, the AR 0 cost ship is strictly worse than the CC 0 cost ship, and all races have an energy structure (grav wave hub) which is strictly better than another (grav current buoy) at the same rarity.
MasN

Postby MasN » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:17 am

The blueprint event sometimes is unwinnable when your opponent has a 0 cost ship :P

Return to “Hidden Dimensions 3”