Thoughts, Praises, Complaints, and Suggestions

Discuss everything related to HD3
elenchus

Re: Thoughts, Praises, Complaints, and Suggestions

Postby elenchus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:13 am

MasN wrote:The blueprint event sometimes is unwinnable when your opponent has a 0 cost ship :P

You run base resist structures and laugh as you opponent does absolutely nothing with their turns, then ping them off with a structure or toss Armored Growth/Dimensional Link buffs over twenty turns onto an unblockable ship.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:07 am

All right, some good points there - i'll have a closer look at things once i start work on the next update.

Some things regarding balance are intended, such as the zero cost ship and the zero cost structures.
The set of available abilities on flagships (and in some cases the strengths of such abilities) is tied to the race of the ship you're editing.

As for blueprint - the AI should have a limited number of blueprint copies (9 i think). So a zero-cost card will allow the AI the fill the board in its first turn, but eventually it'll run out of copies. And since the same opponent always fields the same cards, you can construct a deck with specific counters.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
SpencerWS

Postby SpencerWS » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:00 pm

On what time frame do you do balance updates? I don't see any balance changes in your patch changelogs.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:08 pm

No balance changes are planned right now, but there's a patch coming in two weeks to wrap up the set of cards that was added over the last two updates.

With any addition of new cards, i know there's a good chance some might need adjusting and the wrap-up patch is the earliest possibility to do so.
This wrap-up is the only planned update i have, though. If it turns out there's a need to balance things at a later date, that will happen of course. The more urgent the change, the faster an update will happen, though i prefer to bundle things as much as possible with all the different platforms i have to make builds for.
SVC - NULLL games.
DeadlyFez

Postby DeadlyFez » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:01 pm

I was a fan of HD Xyth on Kongregate back in the day, and now I found that there's a new HD game still being updated and stuff, cool!

However, when I started up the game and tried to battle, I was met with a major letdown: the interface.

Okay, most of it is exactly the same as it was in HD Xyth, but what I'm really complaining about is the "use/activate confirmation" system.
Basically, in HD Xyth, if I hover my mouse over any card (in hand or on field) there's a convenient pop-up which tells me exactly what the card is and what it can do. I can then click the card to select it and only at maximum one more click to complete my action (deploy ship/structure or select target of ability).

Not here.

Nope, now there's two options: force myself to click the card for an obtrusive popup giving info on the card (this obscures an entire side of the field, ugh), click a button, THEN click a slot to place/target (and if targeting something, click ANOTHER button to target the ship/structure), OR do it the old way... WITHOUT the informative popups, requiring me to either remember exactly which card does what all the time or constantly switch back to the button overload mode just to see what in the world card X does. Also, the button for switching between these two modes has the same look when hovering over it as it does when it's active, which is a tad annoying.

TL;DR: At the very least, please please PLEASE add the card popups back for quick mode! I can't stand playing without them!

P.S. The digital keyboard sucks. Clicking stuff to name things takes sooooo long, can we be allowed to use our real keyboards like sane people? Please?
P.P.S. I love your games, hopefully this comes across as constructive criticism! Also, apologies if this has been suggested/ranted about already, or if this stuff is already in the works and I don't know about it.
P.P.P.S. I'm using the OSX/Linux (.jar) version. Thanks for supporting non-Windows platforms (I use Linux)! Could this be extended to the Steam version as well?
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Holding down Ctrl reverses the state of the quick-play button. I tend to leave the quick-play button off, and use ctrl to play cards that i know the stats off. Implementing mouseovers isn't as easy compared to previous versions as these now incur a much larger performance hit due to the higer resolution and vastly increased complexity of the graphical elements of the combat screen.
I received a similar complaint/feedback on the Steam community, so i understand the importance of this. I plan to look into what kind of work would be needed to support this and deal with the performance problems it might create, only then i'll decide if i'll attempt to implement mousover popups.

The on-screen keyboard is there to support the special characters. Implementing a full keyboard controller isn't straightforward due to having to support multiple language keyboards and charsets that not always translate back to the same characters in convenient ways. The current setup was the best compromise i could come up with, and with lack of time it stayed that way.

Technically the linux version should work on steam as well (ditto the mac version), but i currently don't have access to a linux system myself, so i'd have to depend on other players to get feedback on whether things work. Not all linux variations might be as user-friendly either, so i would need the equivalent of an installer on windows to make sure that players only have to download the game to start playing without having to fiddle with permissions. Since i haven't used linux extensively, a lot of this stuff is still new to me. Hopefully i can sort this out at one point in the future.
SVC - NULLL games.
DeadlyFez

Postby DeadlyFez » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:07 pm

Alright, thanks for the quick response. I was suspecting that the amount of work such a feature would require might appear, and I understand this.

Keyboards - yeah, that makes sense, but if someone is using a foreign keyboard, chances are they might not speak English. Or they just like typing in their native language, I dunno.
Which will come first: keyboard translations, or game translations? Translating is often a large issue for games, especially so for those with lots of text.

About permissions - I've found that my Linux distribution likes to auto-tag .jar files with "Execute: Nobody" meaning that they can't be executed unless I specifically say they can be. There's probably a way to change that, as is often the case with Linux, but I thought I'd tell you in case it helps. From my experience, other programs running with admin privileges (such as Steam) don't appear to have any issues with executing them, though.

EDIT: Thanks for the ctrl hotkey, that helps a lot!
Last edited by DeadlyFez on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 pm

Translating HD3 would be tricky - pretty much all of the text related to abilities is cut up in partial sentences between which the values of the ability are placed. I can't take these partial sentences, translate them, then put them back in the same location since different languages might have different ways to deal with numeric values. One language says "5 apples", the other says "apples 5".

I came accross the same thing with my early linux tests. As far as i've understood there should be a way to bundle the .jar with a file that performs this granting of permissions automatically. But this is only one issue - the windows version for Steam includes java, so players don't have to install it. The seperate windows installer performs a check and gives players the option to go straight to the java site to download it. The .jar for linux depends on the presence of java (open jdk i think it was called). So i'd also need a way to check if this is present on the system and provide players with an easy way to install it. I'm sure all of this is possible, but these are things that i need to properly test on a linux system. I might even need a linux system just to make such an installer or package to begin with (ditto for mac).
SVC - NULLL games.
SpencerWS

Postby SpencerWS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:06 am

I think that spark + techno mirror is utterly game-breaking and should be prevented somehow.

I've searched this forum, so I know that this has been mentioned before, but I don't think it's been clear enough. An artifact deck will quickly get the energy needed for both cards, and all you need is for the opponent to deploy a good ship that is unblocked. Place the spark in front and play techno mirror on spark. Bam. Instant death vortex. Anything that touches the spark with damage is destroyed, and the spark now has 25-40 hp and 5-10atk. Depending on spark's atk, the opponent will throw all of its ships at it in order to try to kill it.

Two cards, 3 energy.

Here are ways that this can be fixed:

a. Change spark's effect to a high damage retaliate.

b. change spark's effect so that it only destroys ships that directly attack it (or only kills its blocker), so that either hydra/cerebrus/etc. ships, long-range damage strikers, and/or defense-lowering ships won't immediately blow up.

c. Change the card cost of spark and/or techno mirror.
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:16 am

that combo has been around since hdx (also simpler combo with the scanner ghost), and wasn't remotely the worst thing that could happen to one.

example counters: am bomb (2 for 1), carrier ship (on another lane), shipyard, antiscreen, siege engine, weapon morph... even vulture or hacker gate can hold it in front of an empty lane, bomber or unblockable ship. then there's sabotage, data echo, bouncer, hammerhead...

this isn't a full list of course; but if you were to play against a human (good old times), cards like those above were often the line between a victory and a defeat.
fruchti

Postby fruchti » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:12 pm

First of all, I love the game, it's just awesome, and when I found that it's just a single person developing it, I must say: I'm impressed.

I have some feedback. I played the game a lot (kind of addicted) and I hope you can get something out. A side comment on the uncommon vs elite card discussion, because it's frustrating for me too. It makes dual color decks even harder to build. Could you include a button to convert elite rewards into uncommon rewards? Could be a quick and simple solution.

1) bug report: Elemental Destroyer
I don't know what's wrong with it, but it seems it destroys way more than it should. Once AI played it, it destroyed all 7 ships I had, 6 of them with cost higher than 3, some even had shields... It also destroyed ships with cost higher than 3 in other occasions, and also more than one quite often. I'd love the card, if it did what it says, but it's incredibly OP with this bug. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out what it actually does, sometimes it does what it says.

2) kind of a bug report: Fusion Burst
It doesn't do what it says. It multiplies the current AMC with 1.5 instead. Interesting, still, as it allows for multiple hits on same target with increased effect (gave me a chaos demon with AMC above 300 and smth like 100+ attack quickly). I think I'd still prefer if it did what it says, as it is a bit OP if you draw two or more. Could be used on Hydra cards, if it'd do what it says, but as such it doesn't do much to Hydra. Adding 50 AMC would be an alternative, too. But whatever it does, it should say what it does. Dual color cost is perfect here, it's not OP, it totally fit's the themes. Love that card.

3) balancing: Star Drone
Really nice idea, but it is way too weak. Why don't you give it 150 or even 200 AMC no matter what. It wouldn't be OP, as it still needs smth else to give it a relevant attack. But that way it is useless. First, in a two color theme, it only triggers from one of them. Second, it's a middle class ship you want to bring out early, and not as 6th or 7th ship only. If I manage to play and keep 5 ships in HU/CA deck alive, I either won or Star Drone will do basically nothing. If I play it early, it costs too much for the weak body without effect. I would love to built a deck around it, but whenever I draw it I'd prefer to draw Tarogi or Support Drone. They both have at least some sort of synergy with Overseer. That deck still sucks, single color CC is just better.

3) balancing: Technomind
If I want to play dualcolor CA/TM, I cannot rely on this card. I cannot play it from my start hand, as it requires energy of both colors. This makes CA/TM unplayable. If it had 2 random energy cost, this issue would be solved, but it would stay a bad card compared to the other dual color structures, as I still couldn't play it first turn. 1 random color would be fine, otherwise it would still force you to choose your base generation accordingly...

4) balancing: Extinction vs Greater Grav Demon vs Hydranought
They basically cost the same, in total 11, 12, and 10, respectively. But Hydranought needs exact amounts of 2 colors, Extinction can use anything. Now their attack is 5, 4, 3. With Hydra, everything that matters is attack. So Extinction is better than the two others and can be played in any color. I think Extinction is way too cheap, it should be 15. Or it's attack should be 4. Or maybe even both. Or maybe it should self destruct if base is not artifact... Extinctions high defense even makes up for the lack of regeneration. In both my Hydra Decks I always prefer drawing Extinction over the one the deck is based on...
Btw, I love that AMC stopped Hydra cards from being totally OP, while you can still push them with the right action cards.

5) balancing: Anitmatter Weaponry vs Demonology
It's just weaker. No defense bonus, just one attack. Also it is played late in the game, when 2 energy is nothing. So rather put 3 attack and make it cost 8? Then I might consider Antimatter Weaponry again.

6) Finally I have a suggestion for a set of new cards. I think it is really difficult to build a two color deck that is actually as strong as a single color deck. Only exceptions are decks based on either Hydranought or Fusion Burst and one deck I use against Mercenaries only (based on Mirror Shield and Anti Screen). Unfortunately, I still couldn't try some combinations due to Technomind, or simply as I don't have the required dual color structure as it is an uncommon card.
Yet I never managed to include a working third color splash into a two color deck. I just never happen to find both the card and the needed energy before loosing...

I'd propose to include action cards that increase base generation in two colors. So that they are not OP they should have some cost, 3 to 5 maybe? They may have a theme fitting extra action, I could think about disable target ship for HU/TM for example. Deal 5 damage to target ship for HU/CA. Destroy target structure for GV/CA. You could also combine it with blueprint. If blueprint is 1, increase base generation for HU, if it is 0 increase it for TM. Things like that. And then, very important, they should not have costs of both colors, see problem of Technomind. It might be hard to include a feature like that, but maybe you can include cards cost X, which can be payed in any combination of HU/CA energy. Otherwise random energy cost could just be fine, as it does the same most of the time.

7) Resetting what Spectrum Core did long time ago (you can choose which color it produces) would make dual decks easier to build, too. Back in that time you could try fancy dual color decks with Spectrum Core and Solar Reflector and co. They had a bad energy support, but at least you could try smth initially.

One last comment:
I love Replicator Ghost. Perfectly fits the theme. Cool use of Blueprint, still not OP. Super card to buy just a bit time vs Mercenaries. I would love to see some more Blueprint cards. Maybe an action card that disables a ship, has Blueprint 2, but costs a lot like 8? Or a cheap ship card, just a 0/1 ship with some Blueprint. Or a plain card drawer, draw a card, Blueprint 2, costs 3. I'd also love an action card that gives target card in your hand blueprint 1 or even 2, should be expensive of course. I'd love to use that on Techno Mimic xD

So I hope you get some helpful feedback and maybe even inspiration from this...
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll look into elemental destroyer - it might be possible that it's accidentally destroying all ships that meet the requirement. Shield can't stop destruction, as destruction is treated as a damage effect, not a warfare effect.
SVC - NULLL games.
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 am

fruchti wrote:6) Finally I have a suggestion for a set of new cards. I think it is really difficult to build a two color deck that is actually as strong as a single color deck. Only exceptions are decks based on either Hydranought or Fusion Burst and one deck I use against Mercenaries only (based on Mirror Shield and Anti Screen). Unfortunately, I still couldn't try some combinations due to Technomind, or simply as I don't have the required dual color structure as it is an uncommon card.
Yet I never managed to include a working third color splash into a two color deck. I just never happen to find both the card and the needed energy before loosing...

There are plenty of strong two-color decks, though you do have to stick to color combinations with plenty of dual structures. Off the top of my head:

RV/XY Recyclers is no longer the terror of Xyth, but it's still quite strong.

CC/MT decks are probably the most consistent decks in the game solely on the back of their structure base.

HU/CA and TM/RD are as boringly effective as always.

As for splashes, third-color or otherwise, they seem to me to be best used as win conditions in control decks after you've stalled the game out, since that gives you time to find energy sources. For instance, XY Stall can run Phoenix/Siege Commandtower to break open a gridlocked board and RD Grav Demons can run Fusion Burst as a late-game win condition if its flagship dies, and you could previously run TM splash for Mind Hacks in Resist Stall after Dark Energy Fields were set up. Alternatively, you could use cards like the Praetors or Elemental Carrier for your splashes, since they aren't dead cards if you can't find the energy. I haven't experimented much with the three-color structures now that they're so expensive, but I'd expect you could similarly use them in an otherwise two-color deck to splash in something big and nasty.
DMsChoice

Postby DMsChoice » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:34 am

I also found CA/CC as well as HU/TM quite effective.
Also, for a "third color" splash I recommend a look at the Artifact selection. Since they can use any energy, they can be used in any deck.
Especially Relic Fighter I consider as highly versatile, since it is cheap and quite hard to get rid of, especially if you can buff it up a bit.
A Relic Fighter in a Ca'anian deck? Well, thank you...
Or in a TM deck - Techno Mirror, anyone?

Regarding triple-color structures: They are relatively useful in Artifact decks, though there are free structures as well which produce three units of energy per turn.
Though if you combine Artifact with other races, you might need some more control about the energy you produce...
(Art credits to: MyHysteria)
Joacobanfield2

Postby Joacobanfield2 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 pm

I loved the mobile version grey. I loved it I loved it I loved it I loved it.
Great work, and keep it up.
(I'll come into posession of a linux machine by mid-feb. I can test for you there if you like)
I write some stuff...
Like this.
http://my.w.tt/UiNb/KDovSKMsPB
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:23 am

If you do end up playing it on linux, feel free to tell me how it went. I don't expect there to be gameplay bugs that don't exist in the other versions, but there might be technical problems.
SVC - NULLL games.
Joacobanfield2

Postby Joacobanfield2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:02 pm

I defeated an MT merc in merc mode (It was the one with the rotated combat leech image and the technonilus acti for 4 :mt: ) with Shard Storm. The card did not disappear, but the explosion did happen.
I write some stuff...
Like this.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Did it have recover or restore passives?
SVC - NULLL games.
Joacobanfield2

Postby Joacobanfield2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 am

Nope. It also happened to a CC one with a retalitate 1 passive and Infect.

Aaaand again with my flagship's damage acti.
(Flagship: 8/36 Derelict Battleship, strong vs. :hu: 2, Unwavering, Regen 2, acti (1 :rl: deal 2 damage to target ship))
I write some stuff...
Like this.
Joacobanfield2

Postby Joacobanfield2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:57 am

Also, merc mode does not reward mercs. I played 70 matches at level 120 (merc drop rate >60%) and not a single merc.
I write some stuff...
Like this.

Return to “Hidden Dimensions 3”