Thoughts, Praises, Complaints, and Suggestions

Discuss everything related to HD3
Greywing

Re: Thoughts, Praises, Complaints, and Suggestions

Postby Greywing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:03 am

Make sure your merc collection is not full. No new ones will drop if it's full.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
Joacobanfield2

Postby Joacobanfield2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Full? I have 5, all from achievements or trader.

Btw, I love the new cards, and the changes to Combat Node (Now it's no longer an action-ship), and the HU backstories. (Especially Breakers'. I can help with some)
I write some stuff...
Like this.
http://my.w.tt/UiNb/KDovSKMsPB
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:05 am

Gosh, I'm trying to think of how many years it's been since I've been on these forums or played this game...even though I haven't played or even thought about this game in ages, I was speaking to a friend about games I thought were simple and elegant (particularly thinking of the original HD and of Spectrum because I had a fondness for them in their natural simplicity), and that made me wonder and go hunting for it again. Totally forgot that HD3 was in development...just downloaded it again and will have to remind myself what it was all about! This is a game to keep in memory always! :) Don't have time to play a game at the moment...but perhaps tomorrow I will. I remember back then and even right now, the thing I hope for most is to start with no cards at all, and just play with Random decks and acquiring cards one by one until I have enough to make a deck of some kind. There's just something about losing a million times and starting from dead scratch broke that I find appealing...any chance the game allows for that? :D

Don't know what you've done, yet, because I have not yet seen - but in advance I say, good job! This place brings me a smile.
Joacobanfield2

Postby Joacobanfield2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 am

Hey, Verden, you're back!
I came out of the shadows not long ago too. (Hey, YOU try fighting all those CC dragons)
This game is great, and I hope you can play it.
I write some stuff...
Like this.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Joacobanfield2 wrote:Hey, Verden, you're back!
I came out of the shadows not long ago too. (Hey, YOU try fighting all those CC dragons)
This game is great, and I hope you can play it.

Thanks for the welcome! :) It was actually kind of a shocker to find out that one of my threads has taken the spotlight since I left - haha.

As for the game - oh, I have no doubt that I can play it! My computer isn't at issue - it's my learning curve. I'm one of those "less is more" types, so my natural tendency will be to downgrade as much as possible and then take things slowly from there - but I can get there. :)
Joacobanfield2

Postby Joacobanfield2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Your thread never actually left the spotlight :7

Suggestion for Android: When in quickplay mode, I would like to be able to tap an enemy ship to see its abilities, and tap somewhere else to close that popup.
I write some stuff...
Like this.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:16 pm

Joacobanfield2 wrote:Your thread never actually left the spotlight :7

Ha, well - what are threads like these for, eh?

Anyways, got into playing a bit, and I have another wave of thoughts, praises, complaints, and suggestions...

1. Praise - I really like how the storyline is built up, and the uniqueness of playing in the "Explore" zone - each version of HD has its own way of engaging with the game that is unique, yet consistent with previous versions of the game. Really cool.

2. Thought - Now that I'm in the forum and not in the game, just correct me if I mis-name things here - I noticed that the differentiation between a Solar Plant and a Power Plant is negligible, yet significant enough to render one to obsolescence (one gives 1 :hu: at launch and 1 :hu: per turn, and the other gives the exact same, PLUS 1 :hu: if you take 2 damage on your base). While in theory I might take some Solar Plants if I wanted more instant :hu: when deploying buildings, there is no point in taking them until I have placed the maximum possible amount of Power Plants in my deck first. It's like if the Guardian Akata were a Red-only card with the same costs as a regular Akata - why would you ever put a regular Akata in the deck in such a case unless you already had four Guardians in the deck and just wanted more Akatas? Bonus hit points beats healing every time (except some rare situations I haven't yet thought of). While I'm all for simplicity and prefer fewer abilities - I'm not inclined to go that way at the expense of making a card obsolete by another. Just something small, like 2 :hu: if it's destroyed/trashed, or something of the sort - so there's actually some kind of meaningful choice that can made in deck construction if you're not aiming to have more than 4 Solar/Power Plants in the deck. The lack of choice here is kind of saddening. Every card should have a purpose in and of itself (if it was a physical card games with real cards, I'd be totally on board for random cards that are fun to collect - but as a virtual computer game, this just doesn't work). Anyways, this is of course not the only card like this - it's a single example that can be more broadly applied elsewhere.

3. Criticism - The deck-builder is very cumbersome to use, especially compared to previous renditions of HD, which are much easier and quite frankly also more informative. The icons for each card are so enormous that I can't see all the cards for a particular color - consequently, I'm scrolling back and forth, back and forth, in order to make meaningful decisions. Much smaller icons (as in Spectrum) would make this so much nicer - and I'm also not sure what the point is about moving 1 or moving all to the deck or back - the constant "Are you sure?"-type prompts make constructing a deck one heck of a burden - just let me click on it and let it go up, or let it go down! Finally, when actually looking at the information on a card, the information box blocks most of the deck screen - would be much more convenient if there was a simple box somewhere in one corner that was just devoted to giving information and that blocked nothing. That, combined with smaller icons so one can see an overview of the whole deck as one is constructing it, would make it very smooth and easy to work with. To sum up - basically, I find this a major downgrade from previous HD versions, and just don't get this at all.

4. Severe Criticism - Actually playing a battle is one of the most user-unfriendly things I could possibly imagine. I now recall this quite plainly now that I'm playing again - the standard setting gives you a prompt for every single click you make, like trying to shut down a computer, except instead of just asking, "Are you sure?" it then follows with, "Are you sure that you're sure?" with a final, "We're just double-checking, now - you can't undo it after this!" It's just too much. However, there's a new button (the down-arrow thingy) that's there that wasn't there the last time I played - it removes all the prompts. However, you're then paralyzed with no information at all about any of your cards, and the only way to get information again is to turn off that option and go back to hyper-prompt mode. This is a band-aid solution that doesn't work - because the soldier's entire leg has been lobbed off, and a band-aid just isn't big enough to deal with it. I actually went back to previous HD versions to remind myself what was going on there: and lo, a simple hover gives you all the information about a card that you need (I realize that there's additional information in H3, but there's not THAT much more), and this is conjoined with a single click to do anything in particular. It's a totally wonderful and smooth system, it's simple, it works, it gives you everything you need. I can't even bother to mince words with this problem - why, exactly, are we using this new system in H3? I find nothing whatsoever that it offers that is uniquely useful, but plenty that it takes away from the game, especially the ability to be able to enjoy it - it's too strenuous and aggravating. Once again, I just don't get this. Nothing about this is better, and previous HD versions functioned far better and more elegantly by far. A huge downgrade. Whereas for the deck builder I offered a suggestion to modify it slightly to make it more workable, the only meaningful thing I can come up with for this is to remove it entirely - not worth it at all.

5. Praise - Balance is nice, new abilities are cool, Flagship is good - all fine additions to a game taking the next step. Beautiful! Also, I think "mitigation" is one of the coolest abilities and just goes together so well with all the other base bonuses.

6. Query - This comment is mainly because I haven't played the game enough to figure out what's all going on with new abilities, but what's up with the shields thing on the Venom? I'll have to play more to appreciate it, but an explanation will do - it just seems to me that whereas AI Venoms were previously pretty effective before (yes, I realize that Venom wars causing stalemates could be a problem and this had to be mitigated some), now an AI Venom is the most unfathomable pushover - because I can just shoot it dead. I haven't actually seen an enemy Shields ever be used for any reason because I just won't bother targetting that many failed attempts at the ship, much less 5 times. Without damage evasion or absorption from cloak - shields just doesn't make up for it. Am I missing something? Anyways, to be sure - NOT a criticism, I'm just trying to figure out how things work and what's going on, here. Not the end of the world for me if cloaking doesn't exist anymore - I expect some changes from game to game.

7. Criticism - Is it because the game is still in development or is it intentional that the game sounds seem to all be messed up? For example, the Nagato when upgrading its attack plays the Healing sound. I would expect it to be the sound that a Sapphire Xyloxi would make when upgrading another unit (namely, the Upgrade sound). This isn't the only example of this and there's a whole list of them - whereas pictures, cards, and general balance has been imported from previous HD games, the sounds are the same but all in the wrong places. It's quite unnerving. I think to myself, "Hmmm...what just healed? Oh, it was the Nagato..." And then, "Now what healed? Oh, it's the Nagato upgrading again..." If I can list the reasons why this actually matters...

A. Continuity is actually important and that's what most of H3 has done with everything else - so why not sounds?
B. The sounds don't actually match the actions being conducted, which strikes me as an important artistic detail of a game.
C. Further to B, it's important because the sounds actually give a meaningful report of what's going on in the battle. The ability to tie certain sounds to certain actions just makes the understanding of the whole scenario so much easier. Unless I'm totally not paying attention at all, I shouldn't need to go to the Logs to figure out what just happened in the last round because I couldn't distinguish a healing-heal sound and a healing-upgrade sound.

Once again - not the best for user-friendliness.

8. Major Praise - While I'm more anal about this than most in wanting to start with nothing - one of the things I've always appreciated about HD (and which I think HD3 does even better) is the step-by-step nature of the game and the easing-in for the player with use of the cards and features. Being deprived of a feature is frustrating - but in a good way! You want to fight hard to be able to use that trader! Or get that Flagship! Or whatever. Also, gaining a card at a time gives one a moment to review it, appreciate what has just been acquired, and reflect on how it can be integrated into one's overall strategy. Finally, fighting a computer (which is actually a DECENT AI, which is pretty rare if I may say so, so major kudos on that) with its various challenges or favored handicaps gives good practice and provides insight and experience for dealing with other players in Multiplayer mode (at least, that's what I thought in previous HD versions). The back-and-forth that sort of insists on playing single player in order to deal with multi-player is brilliant! Love it - this is a genius stroke I appreciate.

So anyways, my recap from playing again for a bit.

1. It's not the end of the world if this doesn't happen, but it's cool when every card is unique enough to avoid total obsolescence by another card.
2. The user interface is (I'll say it like it is) completely awful and sucks the enjoyment right out of the game.
3. The game's continuity, concept, new ideas, and generally-speaking everything that makes the game what it is in its essence is outright awesome.

That's my two cents for today. Cheers. :P

-VL
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:00 pm

You can make cards smaller in the deck builder, also remove cardnames to make the image stand out more - there's a button for each panel (deck + stock) that pops out a small window with various options.

Hold down ctrl to reverse the status of the quick-play button. So if the button is active, and you ctrl+click a card you get the usual popup again. Or if the button is inactive, if you ctrl+click a card, you'll quick-play it, bypassing the popup.

Shields block warfare effects, but one shield is lost for every such effect that gets blocked.

Sounds are final, but there's a limited set, so they'll get reused.
SVC - NULLL games.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:40 am

You can make cards smaller in the deck builder, also remove cardnames to make the image stand out more - there's a button for each panel (deck + stock) that pops out a small window with various options.

This is useful - didn't know that.

Hold down ctrl to reverse the status of the quick-play button. So if the button is active, and you ctrl+click a card you get the usual popup again. Or if the button is inactive, if you ctrl+click a card, you'll quick-play it, bypassing the popup.

Not at all an improvement. This still doesn't compare in the slightest to minimalist keystrokes and instantaneous information from merely hovering over the card. The genius of previous HD versions in this regard cannot be underscored enough and what HD3 offers is a major downgrade. I have no idea why the current system is worth using.

Shields block warfare effects, but one shield is lost for every such effect that gets blocked.

I know that perfectly well (I can see it in the card description) - this isn't what I was asking about and doesn't answer my question.

Sounds are final, but there's a limited set, so they'll get reused.

What does "so they'll get reused" mean, exactly? I don't understand. And I suppose you can make them final as they are if you want, but that doesn't make them any less random or inappropriate.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:33 pm

There aren't enough sounds for all abilities, so they get reused, meaning that multiple abilities have the same sound.
Some abilities on top of that have multiple effects - the ability that grants att/def is capable of only granting att or only def, but all 3 versions get the same sound since it's the same ability.
SVC - NULLL games.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:53 am

Greywing wrote:There aren't enough sounds for all abilities, so they get reused, meaning that multiple abilities have the same sound.
Some abilities on top of that have multiple effects - the ability that grants att/def is capable of only granting att or only def, but all 3 versions get the same sound since it's the same ability.

Okay, but what I'm saying is - why isn't the "upgrade" sound (as on Sapphire Xyloxi in previous HD) used commonly on all abilities that have an upgrade? Whereas the "healing" sound sticks with healing stuff, and so on. I just don't get the point of having a Nagato's attack upgrade sound being the same as an Akata's healing sound - there's no symmetry between these abilities, and neither should there be for the sounds.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:59 pm

I should add one more thing - the absence of the little number (like +2 for healing, or -10 when damage taken) is such a loss in HD3. Those little numbers offer a HUGE amount of informational detail about what's going on in a battle. The little bullet on a ship isn't always easy to see, and one can easily lose track of what's going on because there's nothing drawing the user's attention to a particular section of the battle screen. Again, one more thing of previous HD games that was ingenious, and its lack of presence here I simply cannot comprehend.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Flash is entirely different technology compared to what i use now. There are as a result different things i must be careful with to preserve performance on the battle screen. It's a turn based game, but that doesn't mean i can let frame rates drop too low. Floating numbers weren't added because i wasn't sure it would work out, seeing how taxed the screen is on my PC already, it was a good choice. The plan was to eventually add them, combined with a setting to toggle them on/off.
SVC - NULLL games.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:47 am

Greywing wrote:Flash is entirely different technology compared to what i use now. There are as a result different things i must be careful with to preserve performance on the battle screen. It's a turn based game, but that doesn't mean i can let frame rates drop too low. Floating numbers weren't added because i wasn't sure it would work out, seeing how taxed the screen is on my PC already, it was a good choice. The plan was to eventually add them, combined with a setting to toggle them on/off.

Okay.

Interesting that you're using a new system, though - I'm curious as to why? It's not as though there's a horde of new graphics or anything - the old game pictures are the same, the general game interaction is the same, all that is the same (but the sounds), and I seem to remember other HDs running very smoothly. But anyways...

I found [what may be] a bug. I've played against Terror Mage in explore twice now, and both times the game crashes when it is the AI's draw phase and I have wiped out all his ships on the field. Game absolutely won't continue on from there for anything. Very strange.

EDIT: I tried it once more and didn't have an issue. Nevermind, I guess...
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:15 pm

It's the higher resolution - i was hitting the limit regarding acceptable performance with flah especially on the combat screen. Flash also doesn't easily translate to android compared to java.

Were any error logs generated with that crash?
SVC - NULLL games.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Greywing wrote:It's the higher resolution - i was hitting the limit regarding acceptable performance with flah especially on the combat screen. Flash also doesn't easily translate to android compared to java.

Were any error logs generated with that crash?

Ah, OK.

As for the crash - had it happen again in a different fight. No error log. It just says [eventually] "Unfortunately, HD3 has stopped." And that's it. It ALWAYS occurs during the AI draw phase.
Baenlynn

Postby Baenlynn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:38 am

Suggestion: Is it possible to add a feature that will let me test my decks against each other? No XP/loot/achievement/win/loss gains necessary, it's just that It's hard to tweak a deck once it romps it in over the AI even with a bad draw.
"The truest measure of our character is the way in which we treat our enemies."
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:24 pm

The deck generator favours certain cards, leaving out those that the AI has trouble with, while this only affects a small set of cards, it might make it so some player created decks are weaker due to how the AI attempts to control it.
But it's not a bad suggestion, i just have to see how to implement it without messing up the battle setup screen as it's not a proper game mode.
SVC - NULLL games.
Verden Leafglow

Postby Verden Leafglow » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:13 am

Noticed a few things with the AI - it seems not to know some of the good ol' strategies it used to employ in former HD.

Example 1: Hammerhead just attacks normally when it's about to die in the next attack phase (used to 100% always use its acti if it was going to die anyways - very annoying).
Example 2: AI places Ancient Converter in a random slot, when it should really go in the last available slot (AI ends up having it exploding due to lack of energy because other energy buildings aren't going first).
Example 3: Generally just a lack of focus from the AI. Whereas it will pick off a weak ship in combo with an attack by using something like a Thogrom Bomber, if no ships are weak, attacks seem to be random (I remember having a horrible time in Spectrum against many ships like this because the AI used focus fire very effectively to take things down).

Secondly, a question about Hidden Dimensions in Explore - is it supposed to be so easy? After the very first run at a Hidden Dimension, the points I received were able to purchase such an array of cheap upgrades that it is effectively impossible to lose a round ever again. There's no point in investing in re-rolls or second chances when Healing and Base Resistance are so insanely useful even at low levels. Also, Hidden Dimensions seem to be generally weaker than the Race versions of the same from the point of view of AI bonuses after each win...also the ships actually chosen for each round in a Hidden Dimension are generally very...weak. I'd rather have a far, FAR tougher fight with much more common rewards (and speaking of common - I find it ironic that Common cards are actually the most difficult ones to acquire in this game...).
elenchus

Postby elenchus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:03 am

As far as I've playtested it, I have found the Hidden Dimensions too easy. That said, I haven't grinded enough to make the levels all that high; I'd think that if you start having to go through seven opponents that start off at Level 150 with nasty ambush ships and a full complement of boosts and only get harder from there on, carefully selecting mercs and boosts will become more important.

I feel that the grind to get to a level where the AI is hard enough to be fun to play against is too large. The grind just to unlock the Hidden Dimensions was so overwhelming I put it off for months. I was super-hyped when I finally finished the grind about a month ago because I'd heard this was supposedly an ultra-hard attrition game mode that I was told singlehandedly justifies the existence of mercenaries. So I put in my best combat boosts and a mercenary I spent an hour grinding for, I spend several minutes agonizing over which of the bonuses to reroll, and...

...the Hidden Dimension gets knocked over like it was made of blue cheese. Wait, I start at Level 50? And I only get to increase the level by 5 every seven games? After I already put in one hundred and thirty-five matches to unlock this game mode in the first place?

It just takes too much grinding through easy but tedious games before established players can get to the hard games that will challenge them and make them have fun. It was just really, really demoralizing and put me off the game. I mean, I'd note that as a problem with Mercenary Mode too (fifty games per individual mercenary, reduced to around forty-five per mercenary if you're reasonably high-level), but it's especially problematic in Exploration. I think I remember some talk about having some of the Exploration and Hidden Dimension battles involve fighting in other game modes or with special rules or whatnot, and that would definitely make the grind less monotonous, but I don't think it solves the central problem that is the sheer amount of grinding easy battles involved.

I think just fighting one (repeatable?) set of dimensions from each race, perhaps giving common and uncommon cards, serves as enough of an introduction to Explore mode on its own; the focus should be put squarely on the Hidden Dimensions mode, since it's the flagship gameplay mode of the game (no pun intended), and that requires that it be reasonably accessible. I think if I didn't have to go through over ten dozen battles just to get to HD mode, I'd be much more willing to grind HD mode itself to get it to a point where it's fun to play.

Return to “Hidden Dimensions 3”