Card Requests

Talk about anything regarding the Hidden Dimensions core game and HD Spectrum.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Re: Card Requests

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:08 pm

it could retain the same stats when re-deployed as it did before being withdrawn, but repaired. example: a 5 2/10 hiraga would be redeployed as 5 10/10, not 12/32.
Discord: WvHawkvW#6491.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
PenneyRZ

Postby PenneyRZ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:57 am

Exactly why should a card not be buffed if it is useless on turn 22?

By turn 22, I mean anything turn 5 or later.
PenneyRZ
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 pm

PenneyRZ wrote:Exactly why should a card not be buffed if it is useless on turn 22?
By turn 22, I mean anything turn 5 or later.

because 200 or 250 cards have preferred game stage and it's fine. or do you want to "fix" rift echogate as well?

on the other hand, there are many cards i do not wish to draw in the first few turns. that isn't something to be fixed.

- - - - - - - -

anyway, until two pages ago, this was a thread about ideas, so let me try to get the thread on track.
i'm a bit stuck with a card image for the action i wanted to recommend so i took a break and made one much simpler...

first i was considering a structure like this:
Storage Barrier (structure, probably ca'anian)
Repairs owner's base for 1HP per turn. Damages enemy base for 1 HP for every unit of energy enemy drains from owner's base.

not too bad of an idea, but i thought it could be made into a relic structure with energy gain instead of repair - a sister structure to data cube.

as with any idea, i asked myself - would i use that card?
my answer was no. i know how nasty negators are against a spectrum deck when i draw no prismatic spires, just ancient convertors. for me to use the card, it would have to reduce/halt the energy drain, not just punnish it it. hence the final idea:
made like this, it would negate the permanent drain from dark rifts and d.e.towers and on-hit drain from energy leeches and GDDs. cip drains would be reduced by 2 but they would still drain some energy... the card would neutralize drain decks, but no more than data cube neutralizes draw denial.
PenneyRZ

Postby PenneyRZ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:33 pm

If it generated 1 energy each turn and lowered drains by 1 it wouldn't be so bad.

It would be a bad idea to have the person drained doing 1 to the enemy base for each energy that was drained, though. That idea doesn't really need to be discussed anymore.
PenneyRZ
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 pm

i finished the card that i mentioned above:
it would probably be limited to 1 or 2 per deck.

again, just a bit of copy/paste/recolor; all credit remains with greywing.
sphere is borrowed from shield drone (i'm not too happy with it, but i didn't have much to work with)
background is from support drone. psd with separate pieces available on request.

alternatively, it can be an artifact action instead of TM and cost 4 or 5 :rl: ...
or two versions: TM like above and weaker AR version.

the idea is to compensate for a bad shuffle in the late game. for example, turn 25 and you have a few low-tier structures and drains that are no more useful. you cast the burst and speed up the deck at the cost of useless cards.
PenneyRZ

Postby PenneyRZ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:03 pm

It should be "hand" rather than "hands" and turn 25 all its going to do is make you deck yourself.

Anyway, it isn't a great idea as a teal card, because that is just going to make teal decks own the late game.

It would have to be an artifact so everyone would have equal access because of how potentially powerful the ability would be.

Also, the discard is going to be 3 lands anyway, so you might as well not even have the discard penalty and just let them keep the lands in their hand.

On the other hand, if it is meant to be a late game card it should be costed upwards to make it a card that doesn't have a lot of utility in the early game. That would kill 2 birds with one stone and make sure people don't include tons of copies in their decks too.

More like this would be better:

Temporal Burst
Action
20 Random Energy
Draw three cards.
PenneyRZ
idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:05 pm

If you were worried about the potential power of cards while the game was being made, 9/10 of the cards would not exist so you shouldn't worry about what might happen and worry about what is likely to happen.
I am light, pearceing the blackness of space.
PenneyRZ

Postby PenneyRZ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:21 pm

idea bulb wrote:If you were worried about the potential power of cards while the game was being made, 9/10 of the cards would not exist so you shouldn't worry about what might happen and worry about what is likely to happen.

If I was not worried about the power level of prospective cards the game would be full of a whole slew of cards nobody would ever play along with a whole slew of cards that are mandatory 4x ofs in order to have any sort of chance to win.

Not a single ship or action that currently exists would get played except to the extent that they synergize well with the aforementioned cards that would have been made if all the player suggestions went through.

Believe it or not, I shut down bad ideas for a reason.

I think very few people in here really have any idea what constitutes a well made card. That is problematic since everybody and their mother thinks they have some idea when they really don't.
PenneyRZ
Chyriax

Postby Chyriax » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 pm

i have rarely seen penney be wrong here, so why is the characteristic behavior of shutting down bad ideas being called into question? penney is worried about the potential power of cards to ensure that they are balanced. we don't want the 20/20 ship for 2 energy, and penney argues against that. between the ideas stated here, penney's version of temporal burst, simply re-doing the costs attached, works better. if i have 20 energy to spare late game, 3 extra cards shouldn't be a problem to pay for, and i can say right now that the 3 cards to discard in the original idea are going to be as worthless as i can get it, likely 3 lands or a vector or something.
incredible crystaline supporter of all allies and destroyer of all enemies,
Chyriax
idea bulb

Postby idea bulb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm just saying that games sould have good cards as well as bad cards. Some items that are great for one deck could be utterly useless in another deck. You shouldn't try to destroy a card if it works well for one deck type, just the ones who do wonderfully for all deck types, like your own card "Lost mine".
I am light, pearceing the blackness of space.
PenneyRZ

Postby PenneyRZ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm

If a card is too good in relation to the current card pool or too bad in relation to it, then there is no point in making it.

The idea is for the only power creep to come in as a result of making bad cards playable (increases the average without increasing the max) or to make new cards that are a little better than average (again increases the average without increasing the max).
PenneyRZ
nulllmonkey

Postby nulllmonkey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:44 pm

DEEP SPACE wrote:Vector MK I
1 :hu:
HU Fighter
3/10
Can attack the same turn was launched
Deals 2 damage each turn to a random opposite ship

Bomber Dorgan
2 :ca:
CA Fighter
6/12
Deals 3 damage to opponent base when launched
0 :ca: : Deals 6 damage to a selected ship but not attack this turn

?
7 :mt:
MT commander
6/36
Destroys a random oppositing structure when deployed.
Deals 1 damage to enemy base each turn.
0 :mt: : Gains +1/+1, but a random allied ship goes -1/-1.

That ? should be Stat Drainer.
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 pm

better idea: reallocator. it acts kinda like a red blood cell, only slightly better, like the macrophage-style devourer.
Discord: WvHawkvW#6491.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
Ginger88895

Postby Ginger88895 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Copier
5/5
6 :tm: : Self Destruct To Launch A Copier On An Empty Slot By The Owner's Side.

-z0mg VOID ENGINE!
-no, it's cheat engine.
-0mg pwned xD
Gamingweirdo

Postby Gamingweirdo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:50 pm

how about a few ships with effects like these:
i will use nagato and vector as example
nagato:entry ability:receive 1attack if there is an allied Vector ship in play
acti:a allied Vector receives 1 defense
of course there are like a million possible abilitys one could use instead of atk def up but you get the idea i guess
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 pm

The problem is that there are so many possibilities that such abilities might have little use in most decks.
A few similar abilities were added to HD Xyth (chaos moth, some of the CC cards as well).

I think in general, this might work better if the ability was broader - fi let it trigger if a certain shipclass (fighter, cruiser, etc) or a certain race was in play, instead of a single specific card.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
joacobanfield

Postby joacobanfield » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:25 am

Like this?

{Insert name here}
1/10
4-5 :ca: and 4-5 :hu:
CIP: If there are any HU or CA ships in play (not counting {Insert name here} ) all those ships gain +1/+1
We are "Joacobanfield".
I joined up about 2 years ago.
Wrote a bit of TTOFH and a little secret project.
Oh, I also love Disney/Pixar´s Inside Out.
joacobanfield

Postby joacobanfield » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:45 pm

What about a small rv ship?
2 :rv:
5/10
Haste
acti: gain 2 defense. Cost 1

1 year necropost yay!
We are "Joacobanfield".
I joined up about 2 years ago.
Wrote a bit of TTOFH and a little secret project.
Oh, I also love Disney/Pixar´s Inside Out.
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:55 pm

With the changes to HD3 (multiple abils of the same type on one card, except actis actions), we might as well start a new topic for card ideas in the HD3 forum.

That said, i still have a ton of ideas to sort through, some of which are very old by now. There's been plenty of good ideas, but only so much time to add new cards :p
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.

Return to “Hidden Dimensions”