Ability Ideas

Talk about anything regarding the Hidden Dimensions core game and HD Spectrum.
Verden Leafglow

Ability Ideas

Postby Verden Leafglow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 am

I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a thread that specifically discusses ability options that could be put into effect in the game, even if we didn't have specific cards to go with them just yet. An example (from the card requests thread) is the ability that reduces energy drain against the player. Hopefully, a thread like this might inspire card ideas in the future.

Anyways, here's a simple ability that seems to make sense, but might have limited usefulness...

-Armor Piercing: When this ship damages a ship or base, it ignores all damage reduction on that ship or base.

Dum dum dum...
DEEP SPACE

Re: Ability Ideas

Postby DEEP SPACE » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:50 am

Action ability: Target ship recieves random abilities.
:rl: DEEP SPACE :rl:
The Spectralis core.
Now in an Arcane Voidsplitter.
In other words: DEEP SPACE TO THE MAX POWER!

My image collection - My game profile
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:41 am

complicated one: Launches a ?? in a target empty slot.
    (ship launched is a copy of the customized card in slot #60)

- or - (if we're not getting that)

simpler one: Launches a A/D Ship in a target empty slot.
    (ability with 3 variables: ship-index, attack, defense; launches a vanilla ship but sets its stats to new values; so, we could have a carrier launching 3/8 vectors.)
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

The ship spawning ability only takes the card ID of a card as variable. So it can only take cards that exist in the hardcoded card set. While it would be nice to have more control over this, it would require changes in how abilities are being stored and that's too much hassle right now for just one ability.

The latter one is not too hard to implement, but it would require a value that can handle numbers of up XXYYZZZ, xx = 0-99 attack, yy = 0-99 defense, zzz = 0-999 card ID. This is ok in-game, but not for the challenge builder, which can only handle values up to 4096.

Abilities only have a value field and an ID field. The ID determines what ability it is, the value it's strength. Abilities that appear to have two effects, usually store their value as XY, where effect 1 its value is floor(XY / 10) and effect 2 its value is (XY % 10), so in the end only one value field is needed. Doing it this way simplifies a lot of stuff elsewhere in game, even though it's not strictly needed, but at this point changing this is not even an option due to the amount of work involved.

Something similar might be done tho, a new ability that takes XXYY as value for attack/defense, which then results in the card with this ability spawning a ship with xx attack, yy defense. The new card it's race would then be the same as the race of the spawner and it would either get random abilities or no abilities. Trouble is there's no control over card image and name of the spawned ship (you could default it to the original spawned ships, ie the delta for HU).
With 4096 being the maximum for the editor, you can still squeeze more info in there, there would be no need for a spawned ship to have more than 20 attack, so if XX > 20 you basically have another boolean you can put in there. Defense is max 96, but no need to go over 48, so another boolean. So if XX is 0-19, spawn a ship with no abils, if xx >= 20, give the ship random abilities.

I could of course go to the bit level and squeeze even more out of it, but the reason i work with the XXYY format is because its easy to read, if i were to take a f.i. 8-bit format where the first 3 bits represent attack (0-7) and the last 5 defense (1 + 0-31), you wouldn't be able to directly determine the values of attack and defense from the resulting integer of those 8 bits.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
dark1n

Postby dark1n » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:02 pm

ok, with a maximum of 12 bits and 10 of those spent on ID, option #2 is a dead end. 2 remaining could be used to specify one of 4 predefined pairs of attack/defense multipliers, but still, not worth the effort.

so option #1 turned out to be more plausible. if challenge data could be read during combat it could be used to generate a spawn. and players wouldn't mind one copy of that spawn being a playable card in the deck. or, there could be an unplayable card with ID 999 and elite chl builder could be able to edit that card temporarily. then, the existing carrier ability would be enough.

i know. not gonna happen...
Greywing

Postby Greywing » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:24 pm

When a spawn is added to the game, it has to be stored in card format, so it can be treated just like any other card in play. Spawns are stored on top of a players deck (outside of the 60 card range) and they're placed there only when they're added to the game.

It wouldn't be impossible to allow to create a couple custom spawns along side a deck in the editor and then bypass the spawn creation to simply read the preset data from the challenge. It's just that a lot of different sections of the game need to be adjusted for it to work. I considered this before i started work on the elite builder, but seeing as there are 60 cards in a deck i should technically allow 60 slots for unique spawns.
I'm not ruling this out for now, as it's definately worthwhile to have custom spawns. I'll have to come up with a solution anyway as i'll most likely want to create custom spawns for campaigns - though it's easier to do that there since then i'm working on hardcoded content, while the challenge builder must be able to work with all possibilities.
SVC - NULLL games.
Found a bug or have a question? PM me or post on the forum.
DEEP SPACE

Postby DEEP SPACE » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Activated ability: A random card from owner's scrap is shuffled back on owner's deck.
:rl: DEEP SPACE :rl:
The Spectralis core.
Now in an Arcane Voidsplitter.
In other words: DEEP SPACE TO THE MAX POWER!

My image collection - My game profile
Guevara-chan

Postby Guevara-chan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 am

XY/MT translocation technologies should have some practice application, don’t you think ?
Activated ability: X=change – swap positions with allied ship in desired slot.
Activated ability: X=change vII.∄ – switch content of 2 appurtenant slots.
life MOV.I #life+1, *life
האם יש זמן לעצור ?
Ginger88895

Postby Ginger88895 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:51 am

Again, n00b post.
First, multi-targetting is invalid(for HD:X. im not sure if GW will add this later)
Second, your language system is way TOOO complicated. Something could be shortened.
Your second ability could be changed like this:

X(energy kind) : swap two allied ship with most attack(defense, anything u could imagiiine).

-z0mg VOID ENGINE!
-no, it's cheat engine.
-0mg pwned xD
Guevara-chan

Postby Guevara-chan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 am

First, multi-targetting is invalid

Now, there is at least one more reason to make it valid (there was no dialog windows for abilities as well). You are first to mention HD:X there, btw.

Second, your language system is way TOOO complicated. Something could be shortened.

This is exactly why God granted keywording system upon us. See ?

Your second ability could be changed like this

Once again, hasty assumption. Once again - wrong one. vII.∄ was mostly developed to circumvent necessity of ships in both slots you wish to swap content in-between. They just eagered full control upon positioning too much...
האם יש זמן לעצור ?
Wv_Hawk_vW

Postby Wv_Hawk_vW » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Guevara-chan wrote:
First, multi-targetting is invalid

Now, there is at least one more reason to make it valid (there was no dialog windows for abilities as well). You are first to mention HD:X there, btw.

the reason multi-targeting is that there's not a system in place that allows greywing to just allow someone to have a targetable structure target two targets. im pretty sure that if coding is like any other art form, it will take longer to build a new system from scratch than it will take to make due with what we have.

Guevara-chan wrote:

This is exactly why God granted keywording system upon us. See ?

i dont think he means that. i think he meant about that symbol you used, ∄, and that word you used, appurtenant, but i agree with you. ginger shouldn't be treating you like your a "n00b" but rather, he should be respecting you.

guevara-chan wrote:
Your second ability could be changed like this

Once again, hasty assumption. Once again - wrong one. vII.∄ was mostly developed to circumvent necessity of ships in both slots you wish to swap content in-between. They just eagered full control upon positioning too much...

agreed, again. the way ginger worded it, you were going to swap the ships' stats, not the ships themselves.
Discord: WvHawkvW#6491.

I am a blast from the past who is rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

Please donate money to Greywing.
Guevara-chan

Postby Guevara-chan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm

the reason multi-targeting is that there's not a system in place that allows greywing to just allow someone to have a targetable structure target two targets. im pretty sure that if coding is like any other art form, it will take longer to build a new system from scratch than it will take to make due with what we have.

Depends a lot on actual implementation. Once again, noone except Greywing actually seen source codes of HD gaming series, so it is his and only his prerogative to measure amount of efforts required for implementing one or another feature.

i think he meant about that symbol you used, ∄

That’s, actually, most convincing way to introduce “zero” sign into roman numerals. And non-arabic numbers is already used for marks, right ?
האם יש זמן לעצור ?
Ginger88895

Postby Ginger88895 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:06 am

!$@&!%^&$@^!4&$#%@^!

about the multi-target coding problem: actually my own CCG HAS multi-target system, like I said before, have a special linear map for instance identifier(say, ID), and when you deselect a target, you perform the certain thing in the linear map. Unselectable remains grey, selected shows red glow, selectable shows white glow, like HD. And when you process, the linear map pass through the function. However, as I learned further about flash, I found that in flash, classes are very hard to use (at least to me), and without class this is nearly impossible.

But somehow GW invented an ability dialog. I bet the things inside this is very flexible, since GW can but both cards and energy icons into it, so about ships in play, it has a bit chance. At least this is POSSIBLE. (multi-targetting is what we've discussed a long time ago, and sadly, GW refused this(he says it's way TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO complicated, which is quite true))

-z0mg VOID ENGINE!
-no, it's cheat engine.
-0mg pwned xD

Return to “Hidden Dimensions”